Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8x24DS disconnect supervision question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanzer

Vendor
Jan 11, 2008
US
Question... I'm just curious...

I have an 824DS cabinet at my house, with DR5 of course. Sometimes the system will detect the disconnect wink, other times not. What does it depend on for the wink? I am thinking that it comes from the other caller's end, no?

Cell phones normally disconnect after the call, PRI's normally disconnect, but not all land lines do. I just have one land line on my system and that's it.

Any thoughts?

John Panzer

Typically residential lines do not have Supervision Disconnect from the Telco....now called C.O.D. Cut Off on Disconnect with some Telcos like Bell Canada.

It is the Teclo that needs to provide the service as well as the KSU at your house.

Call repair and see if you can get somebody who knows what the hell your talking about.
GL!

thanks for the reply...

I doubt at*t would know what i'm talking about... when i asked them to put a new interface on the house because the old one was falling apart, they just put one to the side of the old interface and bridged the wires over to the new one, but still left the old one connected. so, i doubt it, but thanks for the insight.

John Panzer

AT&T techs should understand disconnect. If the person you're talking to doesn't, they're probably in sales.

Why I say they wont is when you dial 611 from a residential line you get somebody whom has no concept of business features....a residential repair person, no rocket science for them.

John,

You seem to be encountering the opposite of what I normally come across.

Around here (FL) it is calls from cell phones that often don't disconnect. PRI/T1 and other land lines seem to be ok.

If you put a volt meter across the pair you can see the drop in voltage when the wink is sent. It acutally is not the drop in voltage but rather the break in current that the KSU looks for. Alternatively you can mointor the pair with your butt set and listen for a click - but it's not as reliable.

If you get the wink at all then most likely the CO is configured properly. I do belive that you are correct in that the problem is coming from the far end, ie the caller's carrier is not sending the proper signal to your CO.

Short answer, there's nothing you can do.

Another last option also is trying different disconnect timers in Hardware/CO card.
I would go there if you dont feel like calling repair or if they told you it is on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back