Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8700's and Network Time Servers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

p08757

Technical User
Oct 9, 2006
US
All,

Does anyone know the answer to this question:

If my 8700 receives its time from a Network Time server will it disply the correct time after the new DST change occurs without patching?

My gut answer would be no, but I need to know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Go with your gut!

Network Time Protocol (NTP), by design, is unaware of time zones or Daylight Savings Time (DST). To understand why, you need to understand how NTP works. An NTP server will respond to a time request with a 64 bit timestamp of the current Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). UTC is simply the number of seconds that has passed since January 1st, 1900.

Once a system receives the NTP packet containing the UTC timestamp, it adjusts for the time zone offset and Daylight Savings Time (DST) settings. So, if the individual system is not set properly, the correct adjustment will not occur.

I hope this helps!

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

But shouldn't your IT people being updating the NTP sever..?

Thanks JediBMC! This is what I thought.

We were debating if we needed to load the patches or not since our servers get their time from our internal Network Time Servers. My vote was to error on the safe side and load the patches.

Some people thought the NTP would take care of everything, but I was not sure.

Mojoputter -- Please ready JediBMC's post again. The time that gets sent to each device is not adjusted to time zone and DST. Each device is responsible for setting the correct Time Zone and DST settings. The NTP servers only keep the initial clock accurate.

Has anyone experienced reboots while the servers are syncing time from another source? I set my 8700s to to sync with our primary domain controller, and every day-and-a-half or so, the system would reboot. Anyone else run into this problem? Obviously, I can't have the system rebooting every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back