Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

857W wireless router drop signal whem moving from one floor to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

superduperlopez

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
GB
Hi,

I have recently installed two Cisco 857W wireless routers and after installing them at two different houses, I am having exactly the same problem in both instances.

The problem I am experiencing is the lack of signal as soon as I move into a different room/floor.

In one of the cases, I installed the router in the Ground floor of a house and to connect to it I used my laptop with an Aironet CB21AG. When I was next to the router the signal was Excellent but if I moved to a different room (within the Ground floor) the signal would disappear in most of the cases or give only one bar of strength. If I moved to the first floor the signal was completely gone and I could not connect at all.

My clients, obviously, are not very impressed with this result as before they were using a cheap Belkin router and were not having any kind of problems with it. The reason to swapping the Belkin for the Cisco is that they now need to VPN into work and they also thought that if anything, the range of the signal would increase instead of disappearing.

Is there any advice/help any one can provide to sort out this problem? I would really appreaciate it.

Thani you

What are you using for an antenna and how is it placed?

What does the manual say about antenna placement?

You can't just put this stuff anywhere! RF signals have requirements and limitations inorder for them to work. Otherwise use wire, Cat 5e always works!

...JIM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back