Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

850 paper jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

CityofHeroes

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
US
I am trying to fix a jam issue.

I get a jam at the Upper feed assy. The paper goes halfway thru it then it jams.

I read the fault code and it says to replace the Upper feed assy (I replaced it and I made sure that no flags were missing).

I then replaced that part and when I print, the paper now goes to the exit cover, and before it can get out it jams.

I replaced all parts relating to the paper feed.
I replaced the following:

1 Upper feed assy, top half, with circuit bd
2 exit cover
3 Electric clutch, upper feed roller, exit roller
4 Electric clutch, cap/wipe/purge drive

Are there any boards that have to be replaced? The parts I replaced came from a working 850 printer that had problems with the header so I am using it as a Ginnie Pig.

Can someone help me? Please?
Ok Thanks.

Arena King
COH
Triumph Server

If I am reading your problem right the paper is coming out of the printer half way and then stopping. The usual things that will cause this problem is a sticky transfix solenoid (putting a piece of electrical tape over the foam on the soleniod usually works), a bad DM clutch or the key of the transfix roller gear being stripped out. If you are having a different problem please let me know.

I tried putting tape under the foam, and it still prints halfway

What do you mean by- to see if the inner key is stripped on the transfix gear?
Do you mean to check to see if the teeth on the compound gear is worn down?

I would pull the compound gear and the transfix gear to see if the inner key is stripped on the transfix gear.

To access the transfix gear you must pull the compound gear. The transfix gear is held on by a snap ring and has an internal plastic key that spins the shaft. If that key is sheared off the gear will spin but the transfix roller will not.

I checked the key and it is good. The printer prints out a page then gets a paper jam before it goes into the exit cover. After I pull the paper out, the printer prints out the other half of the page and that page fully comes out with no problem.

Replacing the DMc clutch should resolve these jams. P/N 650428800.

You mean the Drum Maintenance Clutch? Xerox has the part number listed as 401-0855-00. Is your's more updated?

Thanks for help

Sorry, the Part number listed for the Drum Maintenance Clutch from xerox is 401-0871-00

The Drum maintenance clutch 650428800 replaces the older 401087100 and should resolve the jams you are getting.

Check the cycle of the transfix solenoid... By using electrical tape or any plastic surfaced tape, can still create a jam as many times the foam rubber pad on the solenoid leaves a sticky surface on the brass coloured plate. I would rather recommend that you use a paper sticky label. But to ensure that the problem is the transfix cycle, you need to verify that the transfix cam (coloured white) is only rotating once. Another possibility can be your compound gear; the inner gear of the compound gear could have a broken tooth or teeth. Another thing to check is the preheater pre-entry sensor. This sensor is located behind the preheater. That too can cause your type of jam. Lastly; If you have the diagnostic software and dongle cable you can test the encoder disk. Sometime it gets dirty and miss-reads just enough not to flag up an error pointing to the encoder,but enough to cause a jam. Hope this helps.

I think the rollers gone bad. The customer has been using regular copier paper instead of the bond paper. I replaced the following parts and I came up with the fault code 22,700.02:

transfix solenoid
drum clutch
preheat entry

I had 2 other printer with the same jam problem, so I used the parts I ordered to fix the other printer.(and the parts did fix the other printer)

The customer does not want to spend more than 500 dollars to fix the printer, so I think I should stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back