Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8410 phone on TN 2214 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

distcomp

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
I have a 8410 phone connected to a TN2214 module in my Prologix. Isn't a 8410 a 2 pair (4 wire) phone? If so, how do you make it work on a single pair (2 wire) module?

The phone worked up until the entire system was moved to a new location. All of the other phones work fine, but they are all 64 series phones. If I plug one the 64 series phones into the jack they work fine.

The 8410 was originally installed a while back and has a Polycom phone plugged into the bypass jack on the bottom of it. The two phones shared the same extension (I think).

Is there some sort of programming trick to making this work?

8410D is 2-wire phone and must work with TN2214.
You should change station xxx to set type 8410D.
What shows status station xxx command?
Try to make test station xxx and look the results.

The only thing you want to confirm is that you're wiring to the 1st pair (white/blue), very similar to analog station wiring. The other you can do is "busy-out" the station the "release" the station. Maybe its hung up. But the 8400 series phones should work with either single or 2pair cards.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the help...I will give it a try. I have a feeling the phone is just dead. I am particularly interested in trying the test station command to see what that shows.

Cheers!

Try x-porting one of your working 64xx phones and using its port as well as associated wiring to test the 8410D. If it works then you can move on to testing/eliminating the port then the wiring. Good luck!

Also keep in mind that the 84xx series phones can be used in either 2-wire or 4-wire apps.

84xx phones are phones from the time they could use either 4 or 2 wire configuration.
You do not tell if you used it on a 4 wire board before you moved. If that is the case they tend to get stuck in their config.
What happens is that when you connect them to the switch it uploads the setting to the phone.
If the phone is still in 4 wire mode the switch usually cannot upload it .
you can try to force it by using whatever FEA code represents this parameter: Refresh Terminal Parameters Access Code:xxx
this never hurts anyway
When you have done this do a "status station", and check if the field displays:
Download Status: complete
Service State: in-service/on-hook.

If you do have a problem with the 4 to 2 or 2 to 4 wire, just busy and release the set it will reset it to whatever card your on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back