Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

827H ADSL Router - Verizon DSL + static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

didocus

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
US
I am setting 827H router for Verizon ADSL with static IP address. After 2-3 hours of normal functioning the router is not able to access internet. I am trying to ping unsuccessfully the default gateway from the WAN interface. When I called Verizon support they said that they are able to ping my WAN interface. In fact when I check the interface it is up, just it can not ping nothing.

The first strange thing is that I can not use PPoE. I have set the same router for other DSL providers and generally it's a pretty simple configuration.
In the case with Verizon DSL and static IP I don't have to authenticate myself. Just to prove this I set the static IP on a W2K workstation, connected it to a Westell dsl modem that I had at hand and it was able to access internet.

I used the RFC1483 DSL - in fact I configured everything through the WEB interface. It works as I said for 2-3 hours and then the WAN interface can not access the gateway. It's up , everything looks normal.
No matter what I do - rebooting, shut down and up the interface, clearing the config and building it from scratch I can not access the internet. The only way to fix it is to connect the old Westell modem and use it for a while with some client. When I switch back to the router it works normal.

I am trying to figure whether it is a hardware problem or incompatibility between the Verizon DSL with static IP and Cisco827H. I confirmed a couple of times the IP address, Gateway, mask and PVC numbers calling Verizon support.

Here is my config:
-----------------------------------
827Hrouter#sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1335 bytes
!
version 12.2
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!