Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

824-DR-5 Internal Battery 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

travistech

Technical User
Mar 6, 2009
US
Have a Customer in NYC & every year the entire building Electrical system is shut down from Saturday,Sunday,& restored on Monday Morning..I have a UPS for short interuptions which works OK. But naturally after the above shutdown the entire system has to be Reprogrammed on Monday.Does anyone know how long will the programming hold on the 824-DR5 with a good internal battery? Also is the battery inside the KSU replaceable? Any other ideas regarding this will also be helpful. Thanks

At DR5, I think the battery you will rely on is the capacitor on in the data sleeve of the software cartridge. I would have to check, but I think it is like a 5.5 volt 1 farad cap (quite beefy). With a new capacitor you can go quite a while, I have 824's that I still support that can go atleast 1 week without AC. I have heard of some that have gone months with fresh caps.

As the capacitors age, their back-up life drops significantly, I replaced a pair in a datasleeve that I think were over 10 years old and the old ones would last only minutes as a backup.

If you have a light touch with a soldering iron, you can remove the two capacitors and replace them. The traces on the board are delicate, so you need solder wick or a de-soldering tool to remove the old ones, you just can't super heat them and pry them off unless you want to take the traces with them. Ground yourself, unscrew the data sleeve, and lift out the board, easy to disassemble and reassemble. About a 20 minute exercise. Lots of refurb supply companies have the capacitors in stock with the exact same pin layout/spacing.

i just had a 8x24 in the office that i powered up to test
has been powered down for 2.5 years and still had the programming in it , caps were changed at that time so they were new
the old nortel book said for the 8x24 and the 6x16 the memory should hold for at least 6 months without power

HALLOWED ARE THE ORI

mike

does anyone know how to repair a bad power supply in a 8x24ksu. I have two that are shot.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses,I do have an account with Refurb Supplies & will certainly contact them----THANKS

jsaad you should start another thread. your post can get overloked when you tag onto another post

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back