Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

802.1x Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

green6

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
US
Can someone help settle an argument between my co-workers and myself concerning 802.1x please.

Are certificates from a Certificate Authority REQUIRED to make 802.1x work.
I believe that 802.1x should be able to work without certificates, my colleagues believe that certificates are required.
I want to set up 802.1x to authenticate the actual user via username/password first and then layer on a Certificate Authority later.
I've set up a lab and have not been able to get it to work in the following scenario:
Windows XP Pro connected to a Cisco 2950, IOS 12.1(22), talking to Windows IAS as the Radius Server. IAS is running on the Active Directory Domain Controller Server and is setup to authenticate against the AD user data base.

I'm prompted for username/password when I hook my PC up to the Cisco switchport and I see a failed authentication attempt in the IAS logs, (something about an incorrect attribute).
So it's working about half-way.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back