Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

802.1x crashes Samsung Galaxy J1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2016
US
Hello!

We have a weird problem which, to my knowledge, has just come up for the first time on our wireless network. We have a user with a Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy J1 running Android 5.1.1 (kernel 3.10.49). The phone is as stock as it gets; the user has not installed any apps beyond the ones which came with it. When this phone is connected to our secure wireless network with 802.1x authentication, it crashes and reboots every 1-5 minutes continuously. However, when the phone is on any other wireless network (our open wifi network, user's home wifi, hotels, etc.) it's fine and the phone does not have this issue.

We have many other Android phones, including a bunch of Samsung models, running different versions of Android and they do not have this issue. A Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 connects to the secure network and stays on just fine. Various other devices running Android 6 do not have this issue, either.

I have captured the logcat output from the phone through many crash and reboot cycles, but there's nothing useful in the logs. The logcat data shows the phone just doing its normal stuff (checking battery level, syncing the time, updating status icons, etc.) and then suddenly it's rebooting. No errors, exceptions, or stack traces are logged.

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this with Android and 802.1x authentication? Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's possible that the phone has a virus that causing the crashing. I would recommend that some antivirus app be installed on it.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is a virus, though, because the user just got the phone and has not really done anything on it. Getting it onto our wireless network was the first step, and it immediately started crashing. It only happens with 802.1x authentication, though. We've had issues with 802.1x and other Android devices in the past, but it has always been a disconnect/reconnect cycle and never an actual crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back