Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

800 numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

colec12

Technical User
Jul 28, 2011
US
Hello, New to the Avaya world, currently using ASA for configurations/ data collection. I have been asked to see
how many 1-800 numbers are in use. Also not sure how they are working or configured to DID station.
Thanks

You will have to talk to your telecoms provider.
1-800 numbers are NGN (Non-Geographic Numbers) which are routed into a Direct Dial extension which can be a station, VDN etc.

So the provider routes the 1-800, in this case to a DID station and what parameters need to be set up in ASA.
Thanks again.

You can also check out your bill from the provider. Sometimes they will list them on there.

Hi colec12, to find your toll free numbers, leftyx is correct, usually your phone bill will list them, even if they have no calls. As far as configuring them in the Avaya, toll free numbers terminate into the Avaya by way of a (usually) 4-digit number called a DNIS. This DNIS number has to be part of your uniform dial plan (UDP) so that your Avaya knows what to do with it. The DNIS digits can be an extension (DID) number, or a Vector Directory Number (VDN). If it's an extension number, the station assigned to that will ring when the toll free number is dialed, and it will follow any cover path or forwarding assignments in effect at the time on the station. That part is pretty straight forward. If the DNIS digits correlate to a VDN, you will also have a vector which provides a step by step program for routing the calls to the toll free number. This can be as simple as "route-to number 1234" or as complicated as checking time of day tables, queueing for a split, and other "conditional" routing steps. Hopefully you don't have too much of that going on. Hope this helps.

Mike

Why does the light always have to be at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks for the input, do you know the commands that will show this information. Currently i have 800 number pointing do DID, let's say 4800 but i can't seem to find where this is conifgured.
Thanks again.

I'm new to this too but here is what I think I know.

I use GEDI so the commangs I give are for GEDI

1st you will need to know the trunk group the 800 call is coming in under. So to list your trunk groups the command is

List trunk-group

Once you have your trunk group, need to see how the calls are handeled. The command for this is
change inc-call-handling-trmt trunk X (X= the trunk you want to look at)

This tells the switch how to process the call based on the DNIS number.

Hope this helps

Let me add this is how my local DID numbers are routed.

As mmagen stated the DNIS numbers of our 800 numbers are routed to VDN and Vectors, no entries are required in the call handling list.

My carrier is AT&T and on my monthly bill it list all my 800 numbers even it there wer no calls to it.

My AT&T rep provided me with my DNIS numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back