Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8.6 random fails backing up Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

GndPrx

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2002
US
Ok, here is one that has been driving me nuts for quite some time now.

BE 8.6 backs up an exchange 2000 server (all servers and software up to current SP levels). About 50% of the time it's successful, and 50% failed with "unable to attach to Exchange Mailboxes" but still backs up the information store.

Now, it is completely random when it decides to fail. It has not been tracked down to specific tapes or days of the week that it fails. If I attempt to backup the mailboxes manually, it works every time, so I know it's not a permissions issue or a remote agent issue. Sometimes it will even back up successfully for days in a row and then fail for days and then work for a day, fail for a few days, etc...

I have recreated the backup job several times with new names and media sets and still have the same problem.

I've combed nearly every article in both technet and veritas kb and come up empty.

Who's got some ideas here?

HI GndPrx

i think its becouse the account u use to attache the mailboxes cannot be verified as the unique BE account with the necessary permitions. I have the same problem but at least in my case it does give me un error message "cannot attache mailbox store" so i am in deep SHI* u know. Trying to find out as well. PUPA ARAUJO
ANGOLA

A) On Exchange server

1) Create one new Mailbox enabled user ( bkadmin )

2) Add "bkadmin" to Domain Admin & Local Administrator groups

3) Start Exchange Administrator utility and grant bkadmin user permissions on site object (Admin Role)
(Delegate control---Full Administrator)

B ) On Media Server

1) Log on using bkadmin to exchange domain

2) Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service

3) Send Mail to some different user

4) From Exchange server, copy EDBBCLI.DLL file to \winnt\system32 (to the Backup Exec server)

(it is very essential that EDBBCLI.DLL file to be exactly the same version
on both the Exchange server and the BackupExec server)

5) Copy MAPI32.DLL from Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt to Veritas\Backup Exec\ NT

6) Stop all the Backup Exec services

7) Rename the bewinui.uni file to bewinui.old ( Path= Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\DATA )

8) Restart all the backup exec service

9) Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as bkadmin

10) Confirm that Exchange Administrator utility is installed and connecting to exchange server

Also make sure that you are running the most current Build which is Build 3878.
You can download it from here:

Been there, done all that.

As I noted, I can run the backup job fine if I start it manually, but when the schedule runs it is completely random when it completes and when it doesn't and it always fails on the maiboxes but not the information store.

If it were a permissions issue or lack of a backup service mailbox then it wouldn't function at all.

Thanks for trying so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back