Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8.4.2 > 9.0.6 migration / pg_upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD50

Programmer
Jan 9, 2012
US
Hello,

I am preparing to do a major upgrade of a production postgres environment.

Currently there is the live production db server, a WAL shipping warm standby server, and a reporting server that is synced using perl/SQL scripts and rebuilt weekly.

I will also be changing operating systems from RHEL (release 4) to Ubuntu 10.10.

The main aim of doing the upgrade is to take advantage of streaming replication for the reporting env. So here are my questions:

1. In upgrading the warm standby server, should I be attempting to pg_upgrade the current warm standby, or just build this box from scratch and set it up and allow it to sync up?

2. Is there any known issues with the OS or versions that I have chosen? I had trouble with Ubuntu and pg_upgrade with 9.0.4, but this newer release seems to have a lot more bug fixes and I believe Ubuntu supports it.

3. Should I bother upgrading the reporting server, or just build a new one and start replication?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back