Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7920's Giving a "Authentication Failed" Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

rain99

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
My Network team recently swapped out a switch since then all my 7920's give me an authentication failed message I tried resetting one by removing the battery and powering it back up this worked for about five minutes and then the "authentication failed message returned. Any help is greatly aprecciated!!

Check your Authentication URL under System/Enterprise Parameters. It is this URL which the phones use in order to authenticate. Can the phones reach that URL? Did they make any changes to your Access Points as well?

John Lever
Telecommunications
Richland School District Two

VoIPGuyNSC,
Thanks but how can i tell if the phones can reach the URL or not?

I was thinking of putting a PC on the same VLAN and subnet as your wireless phones and seeing if you can access the URL? This is just a shot in the dark, as most installation use the authenticate.asp script which is part of CM, and as such you should certainly be able to access it if you're phones are registering properly. All of the documentation on cisco.com that I could find referenced Authentication Failed as being a wireless error and not a registration problem.

John Lever
Telecommunications
Richland School District Two

Did the new switch have an ACL on it that does not include your MAC? If you auth and then roam to a different switch/WAP it may block you???

The auth html that John mentions is also important to consider if you have reciently installed Berbee or some other non-cisco solution that requires a unique auth page. During an install not to long ago, I fat-fingered the Berbee install and it stumped us for an hour.

Scott

This error is usually associated with a WEP key mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back