Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

720 dlpar internal dvd/tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi.

A customer has got a Power 720 (8202-E4B) with internal DVD and tape units.

He's got 3 lpars, and wants to dlpar internal dvd and tape from one lpar to another.

It seems that the dvd and tape hang from U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1-T9 (RAID Controller), that should only manage dvd and tape (no internal disks in this server, local disks are located in an expansion drawer). So I thought that we could move both dvd and tape by moving T9 from this lpar to another.

The problem is I'm not able to find which pci device I should remove in the first lpar.

In prtconf here is what is shown, for P1-T9:
* pci2 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1 PCI Bus
+ sissas1 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1-T9 PCI-X266 Planar 3Gb SAS Adapter
* sas1 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1-T9 Controller SAS Protocol
+ rmt0 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1-D1 SAS 4mm Tape Drive (80000 MB)
+ ses2 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P2-Y1 SAS Enclosure Services Device
+ ses3 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P2-Y1 SAS Enclosure Services Device
* sata1 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P1-T9 Controller SATA Protocol
+ cd0 U78AA.001.XXXXXXX-P2-D9 SATA DVD-RAM Drive

But when I issue lsslot -c pci and lsslot -c slot no pciX appears relative to SAS/SATA.
If I issue lsslot -c pci -l cd0 it tells me that this device doesn't belong to a hot plug pci.

Can I only remove sissas1 or sas1 with -R, to move the P1-T9 adapter to another lpar?

Thanks.

Hello,
To remove CD/DVD rom and or Internal SAS disk(s) (if any, and you are saying NO). We have to remove the RAID controller i.e. sissas1, how do you verify is run
# lsdev -Cc adapter # It should only show you the adapter (sissas1) and not the child devices. Only you verify that this is what you have to remove, run
# rmdev -Rdl sissas1 # it will remove its child devices as well (CD/DVD and or Internal disks)
For tape you have to move the fibre adapter, look for the adapters and run rmdev command and remove them from system and you can move them to another server.

If you want to be 100% what adapter you are moving do this.
# lsdev -Cc adapter -F name,physloc | grep sissas1 --> It will give you the physical location or prtconf command will work as well.

# lscfg -vpl cd0 | grep "Hardware Location Code" --> the location should match the above physical location of sissas1 except for the last TWO digit.

Thanks a lot.

The tape is an internal DDS tape, also under the sissas1 adapter.
I always thought that I had to remove a pci adapter, in order to dlpar it on the HMC, so in this case, when I saw it doesn't hang from a pci device I didn't know how to do it.

Thanks.

You bet,
If you follow those steps it will be very clear what you have to remove as per your desire.

On the more recent servers, internal tape and DVD drives usually hang on the same SAS/SATA controller combo which connects the disks. With this it's not possible to move the controller. VIO is a better option. Map your tape and DVD drives as virtual tape and virtual optical media instead.

But in your case, all disks are on a separate SAS card connecting to another drawer?

To free up a SAS card so it can be reassigned using DLPAR, you will need to drill down to the pci spot device and then do rmdev -Rl (no need for '-d' unless this is removed from the LPAR permanently) on it to deactive all child devices.

Run lsdev -CFparent -l xxx from the tape device until you reach the pci slot:

[tt]lsdev -CFparent -l rmt0
sissas0
lsdev -CFparent -l sissas0
sas0
lsdev -CFparent -l sas0
pci5[/tt]

Here we got pci5. This we now deactive:

[tt]rmdev -Rl pci5[/tt]

Now DLPAR should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.