Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7043-140 43P boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwichman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
We purchased one of these and upon booting it, placing the aix 4.3.3 cd1 into the drive, it stops and the first thing i see is "press 0 to select this as the active console". The LED reads "FDC" and pressing 0 does nothing (nor pressing 0 and then enter).

For a display, i have my laptop connected to serial port 1 via a nullmodem cable which worked fine on the first 7043-140 i configured. I'm used to seeing a more verbose message where it says "hit F1 to select as console" but i'm not seeing that this time. Just the short message mentioned above.

interestingly if i plug into serial port 2, i get no display at all. I can't hook up a monitor because i dont have a 13w3 to 15DBF converter so at the moment i'm stuck with using a null modem cable.

Any ideas on what i can try?

I don't think you are booting from the CDROM.

Have you changed the boot sequence to boot from the CDROM?

If you have and are sure that you are booting from the CD, try removing the graphics adapter.

As far as I can see you can not boot the system, so you have to cahnge the bootlist from the Service menu. Try the following:

1) the deifference between 1 or F1 to choose lays in using an ASCII-Terminal or LFT. In first case, you have to press the number, in second case press the F-button.

2) When the machine boots and shows FF1, a short time before a short "BEEP" appears. Press immediately the 1 for ASCII or F1 for LFT. You will get a menu, where yiou can change the bootlist.

or

2b) Press when FF1 appears the 4 or F4 button, this will run the standard bootlist, which includes the cdrom BEFORE the built-in harddisks.

Regards

mad

turns out the graphics adapter was bad. When i pulled it, it went further and i saw the normal memory-keyboar-etc bootup sequence and i got the more verbose full screen message to hit the appropriate key to choose it as the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back