Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7029-6c3, serial console with console login prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixquest

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
US
Hi,
Anybody knows how to setup 7029-6c3 server with console login prompt? What are the steps? I was able to assign console using the tty ports and boots up with bootup messages. However, after the AIX OS is fully loaded, it stops there with no login prompt. Anybody knows why? There is direction to enable for login and I enabled via smitty. But still no login prompt after the changed.

Thanks.

Did you reboot the server after you changed the console setting to login enabled?

HTH,

p5wizard

Yes, many times. At first, I thought it was the tty port, then I changed to lft port (the front RJ45 port), it did not work either. I know from "smitty console," I can change assign the console to certain port and also redirect the console messsage. So far, I don't see the login prompt after a successful reboot.

The front RJ45 port is simply a mirror of the S1 serial port on the rear.

The LFT console is on a graphics adapter and direct attached keyboard and mouse.

Do you have a getty running on your tty from inittab?

E.g.
tty0:2:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/tty0

Are you sure you have the correct null modem cable for your terminal?

You could try setting clocal on the tty:

In smitty chgtty for your console tty port, in the "STTY attributes for RUN time" add clocal to the list.

This may overcome a missing connection on your NM cable and allow the AIX login prompt to show up.

The RS6k changes the handshaking over the serial cable at the end of the boot process when the firmware hands over to AIX and the port is reconfigured by AIX and if you are missing the required extra wire in your cable for the AIX config then this may help you overcome the problem without getting the correct cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back