Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7009-250 -- Up to live again

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELEM

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
BR
Folks,

I got four IBM 7011-3BT and one 7009-250 Powerstation. I was planning to bring these machines to live again, using them to control some processes in my Intranet. However....problem 1: there is no install CD (there is no CD device at all !). Problem 2: No one remembers root passwd from these machines. Problem 3: I tried with old version of bootable disks (AIX 3.2.5) from but the box still ask for install disk after 325.display image (the next one should me the 325.instal.maint image). I have no idea what is missing. My original idea was to crack the HD with the bootable disks, renaming the root passwd, but .... no results.

Another choice could be a tape device attached (I have an old 4 mm DAT SCSI) but unfortunatelly, I have no 4.3 AIX image in tape (or know someone a good image in the net to download ??)
Any help is wanted.

Thanks in advance.
André

Your machine are 7012-3BT and 7011-250, right?
Here are my answers for your question:
Both of them do not have a cdrom, But you can attach a externam SCSI CDROM to install OS!
Install OS do not need any passwd.
Leave AIX 3.2.5 tape in trash can. it is useless.
If you use image tape of other system(or different type of machine) to restore,
You still need a CDROM to boot and restore tape,
otherwise your server will not boot after restored.
So, You had better to get a external SCSI CDROM Drive for install AIX.
Do you have their keys? you will need it when installing OS.
If you lost these key, you have to had a locksmith make keys.

Hi Petertp6,

I already have a set of CDROM+cable (SCSI of course!) to mount in the box and no panic! I have the keys. My problem is the AIX CDROM because since 1997, the institute where I work stop the IBM support. Don't ask me why, but the installation sets are missing. Nobody here knows where are these installation sets.

My question: has someone the AIX images in any place in the net (to download and burn!) ???

regards and thanks for the help.

you can use any version of AIX cdrom on hand to install.
AIX 4.X can bo install on 250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back