Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-649 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobo0605

MIS
Dec 4, 2003
US
Any advice on some good material to study from for the 70-649 test?

Thanks

This post came from a forum buddy that is helping me prepare:

kmcferrin (MIS) 31 Mar 08 22:27
Ah, here's the link I was talking about:

There are some free Server 2008 clinics, as well as an upgrade "e-learning class" that you can get for $320.00. I haven't taken it yet, but it sounds like a pretty decent bargain.

Try this link for information

Do not pray to have an easier life, pray to be a stronger man!!!

B.S. Computer Information Systems
Masters of Information Technology in Network Security
CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+
MCSE: Security

MCITP: Exchange Server 2007 (Pending)
MCITP: Server 2008 (Pending)
MCTS: Windows Vista (Pending)

I will be taking that e-learning class shortly, collecion 6041 is the upgrading MCSE to 2008 course and it certainly looks like what I need. Only I have to wait as here in the UK, I tried to purchase this course the other day when I was logged into the e-learning site but it kept erroring out when I had to add credit card details.

Apparently a problem they know about in the UK at the moment, they said try it again in 1 week. Great

Paul
MCSE

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Hi Paul,

Have you tried the course purchase again yet?

Neill

Yeah, I tried it again this morning and still no joy.

Paul
MCSE 2003

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Syngress has a good book on it.

Having said this, its by far the easiest Microsoft exam you will ever do as 80% of the questions have 1 obvious answer and 3 stupid ones. Brush up on the new iis cmd line tools and you will breeze it in.

Theres also a 40% discount for this exam if you do it before the end of this month.

theravager,

thanks for the tips.
I've seen that book on amazon.co.uk. Comes out in 8 days time it says so perhaps I'll pick that up and have a read.

Paul
MCSE 2003

Scott Adams

The 649 is really that easy? I would have thought that it would be much more difficult considering it is covering the material from 3 exams in one. I have mine booked for next Friday, so I guess we'll see for sure then.

kmcferrin,

Godd luck next week and do let us know how it goes.

Paul
MCSE 2003

Scott Adams

What they hey, I've booked mine for 2 weeks time

Paul
MCSE 2003

Scott Adams

Yep its definately an easy one, a fair few people i know have completed it now with decent passes with no study except for reading the descriptions of the new features. We had a chat about our exams today and everyones seemed pretty similar.

There around 45-50 questions broken into 3 sections of ~20-20-10. If you know basic iis, terminal services and netmon + nac concepts theres a pass.

Main subject matter is

IIS, all pretty obvious except for the new cmd line switchs. I think i had about 8 or so in this area. I've never worked with iis much but found the questions easy.

A lot of questions in relation to the new features of terminal services. You can learn everything there is to know here in 10mins, once again 8 or so questions. (know the cmd line switches)

Read only domain controllers (2 minutes study and good to go here), maybe 4 or 5 of the same question different scenario.

Netmon seems to be a 3-6 questions in this area.......

NAC concepts nothing indepth, maybe 2-3 questions

and a couple of obvious virtualisation questions.

Everyone seemed to get a question about the new types of directory services.

2-3 questions on how to configure collecting events from multiple servers, once again cmdline. I didn't have a clue what the cmdline for doing this was but i got a second question that basically gave me both answers.

It looks like a lot when you read the above but theres no depth in any of it when you look into it.

Good Luck

Interesting. The class that I took basically said to forget about Hyper-V because it hadn't been released yet, and therefore wouldn't be on the test.

I figured the command-line stuff would come in pretty heavily since they're pushing the server core install now. Overall it doesn't sound bad at all.

Is it me, or is there no printed exam prep material out for this exam?

I was lucky enough to leave my previous job with a free voucher from the Microsoft Partner Program, so I'd like to do some self-study (as opposed to paying $$$ for a class).

Microsoft Press doesn't have a book out yet. Does anyone else?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Well, I ended up pushing the exam back by a couple of days because I was feeling unprepared. Today I still felt unprepared, but since it was too late to re-schedule I took it this afternoon and passed anyway.

It was a very odd exam. There were no simulations or exhibits on this exam, it's 100% multiple choice and the "choose two/three" variety. Furthermore, all of the questions that I had only had four options to choose from. I'm used to seeing more choices on some questions.

The breakdown for me was 20 for the Application Infrastructure category, 20 for the Network Infrastructure category, and 9 for the Directory Service category. Keep in mind that this exam is scored as three tests, and you get a separate score for each category. However, the score used to determine whether you pass or fail is the lowest of the three (or at least mine was).

Application Infrastructure had a lot about Terminal Services, a fair amount of IIS, some Hyper-V questions that were generic enough that they could have applied to VMWare as well, failover clustering/NLB, and some Windows Deployment Services. Then there were a few generic questions that weren't Windows 2008 specific, like setting up a RAID5 array.

Network Infrastructure had a fair amount on NAP/remote access/RADIUS, wireless authentication, performance and stability monitoring, and only two questions on netmon. There was also a surprising amount of questions on WSUS, again a topic that isn't specific to Windows 2008.

Directory services was split almost equally between Read-Only DCs, AD LDS, and AD Rights Management. I expected the heavy emmphasis on RODCs, but not so much about RM and LDS. Of the three sections this one was the only one where all of the questions were 2008-specifc.

Somewhere around 20% of my questions required knowledge of command-line tools, so definitely brush up on them.

Several of the questions had the exact same answer, word for word, listed twice. A lot of the questions had choices available that had nothing whatsoever to do with what the question was about. I wouldn't say that it was quite the level of "one obvious answer and three stupid ones", but on a lot of the questions it was close. The exam was much easier than I expected.

Since it is a new exam I get the impression that this exam is/will be changing quickly. It really seemed too easy for being a combination of three exams, and it was a bit rough around the edges in places. If I were someone considering taking the exam, I would recommend taking it sooner rather than later. I truly expect that it is going to be toughened up and refined once they start seeing the range of scores and candidate feedback.

I've taken 13 CompTIA and MS exams since Christmas, and this was the most worrying by far to prepare for due to the lack of training material. I think that I missed having practice exams the most. I took a three-day "partner preparation" class for the exam and I re-read the class manual cover-to-cover over this past weekend. Other than putting up a couple of 2008 boxes to play with Hyper-V and Server Core, that's all of the preparation that I did.

MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

Thanks for the feedback. I take this exam on Friday and like you did I also feel unprepared for it but I'll take on board what you've said. IIS is what worries me, it's always been a weak point of mine.

Thanks again

Paul
MCSE 2003

Scott Adams

I just passed the test with a 1000 yesturday and the test was pretty easy in my option. There wasn't the usual long drawn out questions Microsoft usual asks. I got mostly Terminal Server and IIS questions.

I feel I must agree with everyone else on here...I took mine a month back and was rather worried before sitting it (3 exams in 1 and all...). I scored 100% and in all honesty would have preferred a harder exam - I know it's not supposed to be an 'MCSE upgrade' (as with 2000/2003) but I was amazed to see nothing on Server Core and / or Virtulisation.

IIS 7 command line was a big subject - nothing else to really report.

Good luck to anyone taking this.

Chris

ChrisCj21

Passed this one today. Got hammered on Terminal services mainly and some IIS.

Paul
MCSE 2003

Scott Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back