Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-642 tips please

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhalo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2008
US
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted here. I am again on the fast track for MS exams and decided to go the Ent Admin route. I was going to take the 70-680 first, but realized that exam would not help my employer with our MS partnership competencies... Now I have decided to take the 70-642 exam first.

Looking at the exam objectives, it seems that 75% of the exam is addressing, name resolution and network access.

Has anyone taken this exam recently? If so, what particular parts of the exam objectives are hit the hardest? I would just like to know where I should really focus my studies over the next week.

I am currently using the 70-642 MS Press book and some CBT Nuggets videos, but some of the info both in the book and the videos seems outdated, like they didn't have Win Server 2k8 R2 yet when they were created. I know for a fact that DirectAccess is not covered at all in the book or videos.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

Brad L.
Systems Engineer
Prestige Technologies
bradlaszlo[at]prestigetech.com

"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.

I just took the 70-648 which is the 640 & 642 combined. I failed it espescially the 640 portion of it. On the 642 portion I did better but still wasn't as prepared as I thought I was. A big portion covered Network Access and I had a couple of questions pertaining to Direct Access. Direct Access was not covered at all in my Press Book. There were a couple of question pertaining to IPv6 and they were pretty basic. Such as knowing the different types of IPv6 addresses. I am going to retake the exam in the next two weeks.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Just looked a bit deeper and am seeing even more stuff on the exam objectives that are not in the MS Press book; stuff that has been added since Win Server 2k8 R2 and Win 7. I really need to take these exams as soon as they come out, this sucks.

Thanks NetworkTek for the info. Anyone else have any info on teh types of questions I should expect?

Brad L.
Systems Engineer
Prestige Technologies

Ironically that is why I needed to take these test so fast. I had planned on studying longer but it didn't happen. The other thing that test covered alot of was WSUS and network monitoring and management. Data collector sets, perfmon, reliability monitor and network monitor. Authentication methods for remote access. Also I know said above but Network Access including NAP(dhcp enforcement, Ipsec and SHV.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

If your material only covers 2008 and not 2008 R2 then you might find this helpful:

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thanks for the tips guys. I passed the exam this morning with a 700 on the nose. There were quite a few DNS questions, some IP4 subnetting questions, a couple very basic IP6 questions (not as many as I thought there would be), and a few NAP questions. There were also quite a few Server Core command line questions such as setting up DNS, adding routes to the route table, configuring IP addressing and DHCP. All that matters is I passed I guess. Thanks for the tips.

Brad L.
Systems Engineer
Prestige Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back