Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 Exam -- soon! --

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouloubj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2004
US
I will be taking the 70-290 exam in a few days. Just wondering what type of sims people have had and also what areas are hit the hardest.

I have read the MS Press book twice and done a bunch of practice test.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

kouloubj,

I took the 70-290 exam before the sims were added, but from what I understand from others here, the sims are not the difficult part.

The broad range of material is more difficult. When you say that you've done a bunch of practice tests, how have you been scoring?

The best advice I've heard (and given) about the 70-290 exam is that if you expect it to be as easy as the 70-270 exam, you're bound to fail. This exam is typical of the level of difficulty you can expect from most MCSA/MCSE exams. Getting a handle on how the questions are presented is half the battle.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

When I did the exams (I took the new revised exam twice) I had setting up DHCP scopes, designing a security policy to enforce password settings and history, renaming admin account and disabling guest. I also had to assign rights to users belonging to specific groups. Setup SUS as well.

I would really suggest that you look at the new tests (Transcender) and if you are regularly passing them at over 85% you may be ok. You really need to know the GUI, know the OS and understand both NTFS and User Rights. Know about groups etc.

Good luck.

Took it and passed finally . Four time is a charm .
I got 737 . Each time I took the exam I got 4 sims 210 min
but 185 min for the test privs privs privs. The 3 sims as you can guess were privs one on extending a volume
not much on IIS . From taking this exam and getting 678,590,678 and finally 737 I can tell you MOC books are lame actualltests.com has wrong answers. I am not sure what I am going to use for 291 . This will be my second time on this bad boy .All I can rember from 291 is heavy heavy DNS RRAS 3 more to got for me I have so far 270 easy 290 hard
293 not to bad and 299 I squeaked perfect score 700
Any suggestion for 291 from any one would be greatly appreciated . I also took the beta 350 very hard got a
450 on that dude after taking 2 tests on the same day .
One other quick note, Its not that most people dont know what the correct thing to do in real life is but M$ asks vauge questions and most of the answers are vauge also
But it the best possible answer that is in front of you that is correct. Which in my case confused me once agains thanks to everyone for the posts they helped a lot.

MaxxR

maxxr,

I found that the Readiness Review CD that came with the MS Press Books was sufficiently difficult to be able to pass the exam (on the second try). It's not fun, but making time to spend practicing for a week or so will prepare you for the kind of questions that are likely to come up.

Braindumps such as Actualtests or Test King don't always help as much as their proponents would have you believe. Of the ones I've seen, enough questions have missing or correct answers that they don't really prepare you for anything.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thanks for the Tip , I will let you all know what happens .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back