Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 backup question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2010
GB
Hi,

Can someone explain this backup question to me?

The question mentions backing up a 12hr day, but only allows for 8hrs of backup, the question mentions differential backups and the answer mentions incremental, so I'm a little lost.

thanks

OK, the difference between the differential and incremental is this.

A Differential backup will back up all changes made since the last full backup where as the Incremental will only backup files changed since the last backup, notice I didn't say last full backup.

Always read what the question is asking you, it states that a "maximum of four business hours worth of data for restoration, but that an entire days' data be backed up" with that in mind you can now look at the solutions offered.

First of all you can discount C and D. C because you have would also have to restore from the 12am window (increasing the restore window), this isn't any good because they want it quickly. D because it falls out of the having any backup done during the day, it doesn't give any allowance for changes to files done during that day (ie the 1pm backup).

As far as C goes, that fails because it doesn't give you "an entire days' data", it doesn't allow for any hardware failure occuring during the night.

I would in all honesty however also discount A, why? well it doesn't give you a maximum of 4 hours worth of business hour data, it infact gives you 5, but they could simply be saying that between 8 and 12 is the data and that from 1pm it's the backup so doesn't count as the 5th hour.

I would also probably look at implementing Previous Versions (Shadow Copy) on shared folders and looking at implementing other things if I had SQL etc.

Given the requirements of the question tho, the only solution that offers the entire days data and a quick restore process is actually A and because of that I would say that that's why it's the correct answer.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

thanks simon, i see the logic why a is the best choice

I guess this is what I find annoying with microsoft, fitting 12hrs into 8hrs of tapes and the fact the question specifically states a max 4 hrs per tape, but the answer includes 5

It doesn't look like that was a Microsoft question. You might want to take that up with Certkiller.com. :)

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

So maybe it is a Microsoft question after all.

Please don't use braindumps. Not only is it cheating, it devalues the certification.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Just passed 290 last week. (yay, me!) I won't go into super specifics of the questions because people get antsy about that. But they REALLY expect you to read for content on these things. For example, I'm sure you're familiar with the "user got account locked" question. You can do it in your sleep. Reenable account, reset password to "blank" or whatever, check the "user must reset password" at login. I got a simulation that asked "give the user a password of password, do not change any other policies." And the question said "do what we told you, no more." So hmm! Best practice is to hit the reset button. In real life that's what I'd do. But that's not what the question asked for. So I left it unchecked. Dunno if I got that one right or wrong but I passed the test so that's all that matters.

I did see some of the "brain dump" material for 290 but they're really outdated. The microsoft books are outdated for that matter, too. The sample questions from the book are really not like from the test either.

More important than whether or not you did a brain dump or just read the books, you need to be doing this stuff on practice systems, not just reading about the work but doing it. The reason to look down on a person who passes with a brain dump is they have the cert without knowing the material and makes certified people look no better than random yabobs on the street. Well, you can wind up with legitimate only-studied-the-book paper MCSE's just as easily without practicing this crap, even after you got the cert. I sat the class two years ago, then got hired in an IT job that isn't directly sysadmin and didn't have time to finish the exams. Going back and doing it now and it's amazing how much stuff I'm fuzzy on or plain can't remember, stuff I know I knew.

Well, on to 291. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back