Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7.0 database backup restored to SQL 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soy4soy

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2000
US
Is there a way to take a SQL 7.0 Database, and through a forced restore, bring it up into SQL 2000?

Background: I am upgrading an application server and looking to streamline the upgrade of 200 databases from a 7.0 backend server to a 2000 server (running on 2003) and it would save me a man-week if I could do this.

Randy Mitchell, Jack of all ITrades

Yes, it is possible, but a MUCH quicker approach would be to detach the databases in 7.0, copy the mfd/ldf files to the new server and re-attach them. See sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db in BOL. I just did this on a smaller number of databases (20) and had no problems whatsoever.

The detatch/attach method and the backup/restore method will both work for you.

When the files are attached/restored to the SQL 2000 install of SQL they will be upgraded. If you are going to use the detatch/attach method, be sure to make a copy of both files before attaching them to the SQL 2000 server. If something goes wrong after you have attached the files you the SQL 2000 server you will not be able to reattach them back to the SQL 7 server.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back