Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6x16 Lost Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcr3530

Technical User
Jun 14, 2006
US
Hi Have a cust with 6x16 that everytime they have a power outage they lost the configuration, I know that there is a internal battery that hold this info, any Idea where can I get this Battery? and how to change it?

Thanks

I don't know of any user serviceable parts in a 6 X 16. I never tried to take one apart.

You can try a UPS to hold the system up during power outages, or backing it up with Norstar Manager then just downloading the config. I don't know if the 6 X 16 has a release that works with the Norstar Manager, as the 6 X 16 was manufacturer discontinued by Nortel several years ago.

Try upgrading to a CICS if all else fails.

I had a supplier that could open up the 6X16 and replace capacitors. It's possible, but I don't know how.

Adversity is Opportunity

There is a capacitor on the mainboard in the ksu and there COULD be two smaller capacitors in the software cartridge. I am stretching my memory, but I think at DR1 the mainboard capacitor held configuration (with no caps in the cartridge) and by DR5 it was in the software cartridge that held the programming on its own caps).

If you have a quality soldering iron and some pcb experience, the change out is easy. The capacitors are 5.5 volt and either 1 Farad or 1.5 Farad. Most (but not all) were green on the mainboard and a bit bigger in diameter than a quarter and black in the cartridge, about the diameter of a dime.

I did a quick-and-dirty on a 616 DR5 by opening the cartridge, cutting the leads to the capacitors, soldering on some cross-connect wire and putting a dollop of glue gun glue in the top of the cartridge (there is a lot of room at the top that is empty). Glued the new caps in place and then soldered up to the cross connect wire. Worked just fine.

To find the capacitors, if you plan to use the quick-and-dirty, just look up the equivalent ratings as any capacitor will work (as long as the ratings are the same).

If you want the clean install, look at the suppliers of refurbishing supplies and you can find the exact capacitors pinned to fit the pcb.

Remember you are dealing with aging circuit boards with delicate traces so you need a light physical touch and careful temperature control when soldering.

Of course, be sure the unit is powered down and even then avoid shorting the capacitors when handling them (new and old) and observe anti-static precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back