Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6850 vs 6950 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
Hi

I need to build a fair server that will need as much processor power as I can get (in a Dell box)

But does anyone know if a 6950 with 4 of the biggest AMD processors is faster then a 6850 with 4 of the fastest Intel processors?

The server will also move a lot of data around so it will have 4 x 4 Gbit/s HBA's and 1 10 Gbit/s ethernet card.

We normally use Dell servers, but if I can't get the performance I need I will go for a Sun X4600

/johnny

You need to ask dell server consultants really (i.e. free pre-sales). I doubt many places outside of dell would have comparative benchmarks, it would also depend on the actual role of the server (database, file server, SAP, Exchange etc etc.).

Personally I'd go for the 6850 though, it has a massive amount of lvl 2 cache on the CPUs but I guess a bit less RAM bandwidth.

Thanks for the advice

I will use the server to hold a Netbackup Master and Media server.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back