Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 block label

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmclemor

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2006
US
I have some relabeling to do in my phone equipment room. A group of 66 blocks has stick-on labels numbered 1 - 1300 that stick on the edges. These are paper, with yellow background and black numbers, and the adding of jumpers tears through the label. Over the years of moves and changes, they have started to come off in places. I know that they are at least 23 years old. Does anyone know of a vendor that can supply a new set of labels for 66 blocks?
Thanks
Bmclemor

I dont know of a vendor for those labels. But when we do them we just mark the top of each block what it starts with and from there on its easy to figure out what each pin is by the pair colour or some blocks where marked at every fifth pair.

Those work fine Skip in areas that you do not need into everyday. They become a real pain if you do need to move them a lot.

We use our panduit LS7 label maker to label ours. We print the numbers out and cut to fit. They have been on their for quite a while now and none have started to fall off. We also label the "ears" with labels to make it a little faster to get it the right counts. I have over 15,000 pairs done (just the distibution side) this way in our equpiment room using Homoco frames and it makes finding these a lot easier.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

Ive never tried the cut to fit on a 66 block , sounds like a lot of work .(little tine numbers

couldnt you just figure the spacing , print a long label to cover the block and cut the slots with a Razor knife ?

I agree the items I linked to are a PITA to work around .

You posted my thoughts Skip LOL. The labels are not that bad to do and we only label every 5th pair. On the 3/4 inch tape you can have 4 in a row. Use you snips to make the cuts and it's done. It does take a little time, but it is a very nice looking/user friendly frame to work on.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

most of what i see is done with a black sharpie marker.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

We have been there and done that too, but the "Permanent" markers fade after a while.

i use the sharpie, even if i intend to put a label on it later.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

if you put a label over the sharpie the sharpie ink can bleed through making both marking illegable ..

a big problem with sharpie is when things move and you have to re- label.

It's not too bad when you use a fine point sharpie. You can erase the block with the rubber end of your screwdriver. Kinda sounds silly don't it?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Finger nail polish remover also works well. Then wipe them down with an alcohol pad and you are set.

the rubber on my side cutter handle erases the sharpie as well. with the labels i use they do not bleed through, but i do the labels last after they are pretty well set. also, depending on the block type, a quick brush with sandpaper makes the sharpie sink in not fade or bleed much. it does make then not erase as well though.

They make vandelism remover that janitors use it takes all the permanent ink off with out marking up the plastic. It comes in a spray or you can get it in moisturized wipes in a box. They are the easiest to work with.

I use a fine point sharpie and if I need to erase I just scratch it with the cut side of my 66 blade. Works every time and better than an ink eraser.

jeff moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back