Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6509 Ethernet faulty port after reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolast

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
FR
Hello All,

I am currently facing an issue on a 6509 Catalyst
switch with IOS 5.5.3. This switch has two modules:

- 1 supervisor card with MSFC card
- 1 48 ports Ethernet 10/100 BT module

The configuration was ok until i hot-unplugged the
supervisor card and replugged it in the same module.
Then when rebooting, there is the following message :
"Minor problem on module 2 ...
"Module 2 online"

32 ports of the 48 then goes from status errdisable
to status faulty. Ports stay in faulty mode even if i force them with command "set port enable".

I have disabled spantree and it is always the same.

Can someone help me?

Nicolas
France/Grenoble

Interesting, is your configuration in tact on the supervisor module?

I found this information on your particular version of Catalyst code. You might want to consider upgrading your 6509.

Occasionally, when a module is removed before it comes online (and before it is finished running diagnostics), memory corruption might occur. To avoid this problem, do not remove or reinsert a module during system power up and do not remove or reinsert a module before it comes online. (CSCdp27673) (CSCdp27562)

When you remove a module and then reinsert a different module, after using the clear config mod_num command on the newly inserted module, the first port on the module might be shown as disabled in the port status field. There are two workarounds: 1) Do a second clear config mod_num. 2) Do a set port enable on the first port. (CSCdp25328)

As you can see there are several different issues that are similar to your problem. I think that I'd upgrade my Cat OS to 6.3.1 if I was you. Seems like the code your running is very buggy. You can check out all the caveats yourself at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back