Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6500 redundancy failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxon747

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2001
IE
Hi All,

I've a 6509 with two sup1a and two msfc2's running hybrid ... highavailability is enabled on the sup's.

The Sup in slot1 with it's msfc is the hsrp active router for all vlans.

I wanted to failover the sup in slot1 with the sup in slot2 as a hardware failure test to prove it would work.

I had two pc's setup with a ping going to the supervisor IP address (1 pc was on the native vlan 1 and the other pc on another vlan).

After I physcially pulled out the sup from slot1 I noticed we lost 1 ping (abt 3 secs to failover) ... but abt 10 seconds later we lost abt 10 pings before it came back and stablized.

Question why after the first ping did it loose 10 pings after say 10 seconds.

I'm not using the gigabit ports on the sup's and the chassis has 32 gigabit ports for the edge switches which are 3550 ... however, there is no reducdancy built into those edges switches ... so I'm ruling out a STP glitch ... all I can logically think that caused it was the msfc's.

Put becuase one of my pc's was on vlan 1 the native vlan with the switches my ping should not have been lost as it would not have had to hit the msfc.

This is not a show stopper, but I am just curious if anyone has come accross same and done any failover test with the same sort of kit as me.

tnx;s in adv

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back