Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64MB vs 128MB videocards for Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon1117

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
I run the digital department at a Professional Photo Lab. I need some opinions. How much permance increase do i really gain going from a 64MBDDR video card to a 128MBDDR for photo retouching? Does that 64MB+ really benefit me for working in Photoshop? I have my own opinions, just curiuous as to what others think.

None what so ever that you would notice in photoshop, the extra ram is strickly for the gamers where full screen images are rendered 60-85 times a second.
Where you will see the differance is in the amount and type of ram you have on the motherboard (512 min for Photoshop)and the make and type of chipset.
Martin L.B.I.P.P Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I agree with paparazi. You may see some improvement, but it definitely won't be drastic or warrant the need for an upgrade.

System RAM, chipset, and CPU speed are the biggest factors here. It's when you move to video editing (like in Premiere) where the video card plays a larger role. But for "photo retouching", the extra bandwidth you'll get from 128MB DDR won't even be used.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

good deal, and thank you guys. Thats exactly how i feel and just wanted to see if anyone felt differently and could prove a performance gain.

In a 2D environment, the video card's memory is solely used for holding the pixels on the screen. So if you do the math, even the highest of resolutions, say 1600x1200 at full 32 bit color takes up:

1600 * 1200 * 4 / (1024^2) = 7.32MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back