Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

640-901/BSCI TAKERS AND PASSERS.....a bit of guidance please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2003
US
Et. al,

I am working on my BSCI-->CCNP however while takling the BSCI I have a few questions ...sorry for duplication of this message if anyone notices.
What books did you use? I have the cicso press BSCI self study by Katherine paquet& Diane Teare (c)2003 and the Sybex from Todd Lamell and the other two authors... their latest.(c)6/1/2002 - either work better why?

Thanks Littleluker - littleluker@yahoo.com

i started with the sybex books. they are not very good for the ccnp. i switched to the cisco press books. they are much more detailed, alot better for the tests.

i used hardware to practice, so i can't recommend a good sim.

i think trouble shooting is the hardest subject. but i havn't taken the cert. test yet.

i also took the cisco networking academy. i was a good thing with the bsci since i had the sybex book. the course made up for the book. i also found it helpful to talk to other people while studing

chris
ccna, ccda

Use both Cisco Press and Sybex there more info you absorb the better.

The sybex books lack a bit of depth but are quite light reading. The cisco books on the otherhand are heavy going but include all the info needed to pass.

Having just passed the BSCI exam I would say that if I knew Sybex 100% I might have just passed. Knowing 70% of the Cisco book I would have just passed. As I had read and understood both plus plenty of hands on I passed quite comfortably.

I would only use a simulator if I didn't have access to actual hardware. As I use routers day in day out I didn't even need to practice the config stuff. The simulators on the exam do not go into any great depth and if you have some genuine hands on there should be no probs.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back