Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64 Bit Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjpc

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2004
GB
HI we have put in a couple of 64 bit servers(HP DL580 G4 & G5). We are using MS 64 bit enterprise server . We have been disappointed in the performance of them. Both are running software which supports 64 bit servers. Can anyone point me in the right direction, Tips Tricks Hints. Anything would be great.

Can you specify anything in particular that you have concerns about? And what are you using to base your expected performance gains on?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

We had theses packages running on 32 bit servers (virtual, 4 gb ram) the 1st package loads every thing into memory, and users run their queries from there, its going to get very big and exceeds the std windows server application spec.

We have purchased the 64 bit version and it currently stands at 3gb ram used out of 8 gb. The same file loads quicker on a virtual machine with a single processor than on our DL580 with dual core processors.

For the 2nd package we have had to purchase a server with 4 quad processors and 32 gb ram, according to the application guys there is an improvement but not as much as was expected. In general most of the posts I've read about 64bit give mixed results. Hope that helps

Thx for coming back.

I have seen numerous posts with 64 bit OS's. What OS? I know my XP Pro 64 bit at home is faster with some things, but the drivers for other things aren't quite scripted right for 64 bit systems and OS's. One is Adobe, and the other is Cisco VPN client!

Burt

Difficult to give any good tips wihtout understanding what is slow.

The few basic performance tips I can think of are:

1. Ensure you don't have any power savings feature enabled. Check by running powercfg -query, you should have it set to 'always on'. (especially if you run virtual server / hyper-v on top)
2. Disk layout, how are you disks laid out (do you have a high disk queue value in perfmon?)
3. Network settings, ensure that the nic is set to auto/auto if that is what is set to the switch (and not hard coded etc). It has to be the same setting on the switch as it is on the nic.

Hope any of this help...

I am going to go out on a limb here and just based on your wording, I would bet that the application itself, while stating that it supports to be run under a 64bit OS, still is a 32bit application and probably one that isn't tuned to take advantage of threading it's processes to the multiple cores. Your slight performance inprovement your seeing is probably based purely on the OS being able to address more memory, thus giving your application more addressable space since the 32bit OS use to use some of that space. Also, the same statement for the processing, since the OS can utilize the multiple cores, there is more processing resource for the application to use than what is had before.

I would check to see if your application is truly 64bit itself and if can take advantage of multiple cores. My first guess is that it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back