Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

-625 Transport Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcassidy

Technical User
Jan 11, 2001
US
I have several 5.1 servers in an NDS tree at several physical locations. At some point a few months ago, our Networking Team removed IPX from the link to one remote site. At that time I disabled IPX on the server.

I figured that would be the end of it, but now I have two subordiate replicas at two remote sites giving me a -625 error in NDS Manager. Also, when I do a dstrace, there is a Transport Error between the two sites.

The TIDs I have found on this say that IPX is set incorrectly. Well I can't reenable it, therefore I need another solution.

I was going to try to add a read-only replicat to one of the servers of the other's partition, but I'm afraid it would do more harm than good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I probably should have mentioned that I have IP on ALL servers in the tree, but IPX only on a few including the one that can't sync with the problem server. I think I need to reestablish this problem server/partition as IP only, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing this without reinstalling the server.

You need to setup SLP to allow your servers to talk via IP only. 625 errors mean that your servers cant talk to each other, which you seem to already realize. Sometimes it's caused by a break in the link but it can also be caused by their inability to resolve the ip address to connect.

In brief... You need to create an SLP SCope, and SLP Directory agent (Do it in NWADMIN).. Associate the slp scope and the DA with each other and assign the DA to a server (usually at a central location). Then edit the ETC\SLP.CFG file on each server (Except the DA) and add the following line to the end (Make sure to add a hard return before saving):

DA IPV4, xx.xx.xx.xx

Then go into MONITOR and Server Parameters and SLP Configuration.. Under SLP SCOPE, put in the name of whatever the scope is that you defined. After you do that, you have to restart the servers.

Also, on the server you created as the SLP DA, load SLPDA.NLM on it.

If you look on Novell's knowledgebase, there is a TID that covers this whole process very nicely.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back