Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6010 and MAS6000

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMitelGuy

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2003
CA
Has anyone worked with the 6010 or MAS6000 with the 6010 blade installed?

Any thoughts? Any comments? Pro's? Con's?

Thanks
Neil

Quite often, actually. what do you want to know? It works quite well. I have a set sitting beside me here at home running off the office here in town. The 6000 is easy to install and the blade just downloads. Best and easiest way to install it is in the server and gateway mode so that it uses 2 nics and the firewall and is present on the net. That works like a charm. You can run into problems if the customer wants to use their own firewall in front of it.

Simon

What blades do you have installed?
Any configuration tips, in terms of PC requirements?

Did you try it with DSL?
Did you try it with the Tele-worker blade?

Thanks
Neil

Hmm, in our office we have the whole kit an' kaboodle as we are a dealer. This includes the teleworker, office suite and ipsec vpn blades.

I have installed a few sites with just the telworker blade and some with just vpn. The specs for pc's vary depending on the application, but if you get anything current i.e. 1.2ghz or more and 512 mb ram 80gig drive, you'll be able to run just about anything on it.

A lot of our customers, ourselves included use dsl to connect to the net or the server and the client side. With dsl you just have to be ware of how much bandwidth is being used. Easch teleworker set uses about 50k. Some days my teleworker set is very poor at peaks times in the office, as people are checking email, etc. For 6 months or so we had one of our call centre agents using one in Vancouver, (we are in Calgary), it worked pretty good and only ran into probs when there ware heavy traffic on either one of our networks.

Thanks MitelMAN!

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. If you had to give the voice quality a rating out of 100, on the Vancouver guy, what would you give it?

Thanks
Neil

What about VPN on the DSL? Did you have DSL at both ends? Was there any issues there?

We tried to do a VPN over DSL to DSL, but with no luck on the BCM200.

Thanks
Neil

Neil, voice quality is relative. First of all compression is set at G.729 which equates to cell phone quality at best. So out of that I would say it was about 90% with some days 100 and others 80 or so. Now understand that this person took about a 100 calls a day, and most of the time the callers thought she was in calgary. Most teleworkers do not have that kind of call volume. We have other clients who use teleworkers and NEVER hear complaints about quality.

So your question about the VPN, not exactly sure what you are trying to get at here. The teleworker set creates its own vpn to the 6010 server automatically and there is no need to establish one manually or with hardware. Right now the set I have here at home is running through DSL and our server in the office is also DSL.
The IPSEC VPN that you purchase for the 6000 MAS only works to another MAS to allow you to connect the 2 networks together. That works with DSL as well.
You can with the basic 6000MAS create client pptp and IPSEC VPN, I use that as well a home and on the road to access our office network if required.

If you wish I could email a couple of docs that might answer a lot of questions.

Simon

Are those the same docs as the ones on "edocs"?

Thanks Simon,
Neil

Nope, the papers I am referring to are in the dealer section. The edocs section has a lot of stuff but not much for engineering.

Simon

I'm not sure what areas you are talking about. Send me what you can.

Thanks
Neil

neil_hyndman@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back