Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60 second countdown before shutdown. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiaMeX

Programmer
Jul 31, 2003
US
Hello there! I have problem, you see, my computer keeps shutting down whenever i get connected to the internet. I am using a dial-up connection to get connected... I dont really know what struck my computer... i dont know what to do... I know it's just a typical kind of glitch for you guys but for me, it's really a big problem.... please help.... Thanks in advance guys!!!

You are being hit by the blaster (or maybe sasser) virus. Open a command prompt and when you get the shutdown warning type: shutdown -a Then immediately head to Windows Update and update all the critical fixes.

Sounds like the Blaster worm virus, thought that had long since gone! anyway.
You need the symantec find and destroy tool as well as a fully patched (upto date) XP??
You need to disable system restore and may even need to start in safe mode (this depends on wether the tool gets rid of the virus in normal windows mode)
You will need access on another PC, go onto symantec's website, download the blaster worm fix tool, put onto a floppy, pull out your PC's internet connection, turn off system restore, execute the tool, allow it to scan and destroy virus, if it doesn't do this then try the same in safe mode.
Once you have sucessfully removed the virus do a full system virus scan, make sure your PC's antivirus software is fully up to date.
Fully update XP with service pack 2.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back