Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60 GB Hard Drive shows size as being 9.68 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
US
I have a Maxtor 6Y060P0 (60 GB) hard drive that at one time, i put into my Tivo as extra storage. I recently took it out of the Tivo and put it into my PC to use for additional storage, formatted it as NTFS using both the Disk Management built into Windows 2000, and using the Maxtor disk installation program...either way, it shows the hard drive as being only 9.68 MB. Did I ruin this drive or can I somehow fix it?

Thanks- James

FYI, I ran the check disk for errors tool built into windows, set it to "Automatically fix file system error" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"...
after running it, I get the error "Windows was unable to complete the disk check"
Thanks for the help

Look at it again using XP's disk management - In the graphic at the bottom is there more than 1 partition?

If it has multiple partitions, no amount of formatting or disk checking will change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back