Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6 years of inbox emails gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepseadata

Technical User
Jul 10, 2008
DE
Hi there,

I've got a win7 PC using Outlook 2007 to grab email from its local SBS2003 running as DC and Exchange server.

I'm retracing my steps trying to figure out why my inbox has emptied. The email aren't in my deleted email folder either. All my archived folders are still present, my sent mail folder looks fine.

I have a feeling I'm about to learn A LOT more about Exchange....

Is there anything I should look at before I start assuming I'm in a restore situation (that's going to take me another road of learning)?

I'm currently learning how Outlook populates the inbox. If anyone feels like throwing me a bone as to where I should look for the info, maybe a few buzz search words.

As admin, I should know this stuff.. sorry.

Check to see that you don't have any filters set on your Inbox in Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

> filters set on your Inbox

Oh yeas; I remember this one tripping me up many years ago.

You guys are awesome for taking a poke. I really appreciate it.

Well I had a look at filters. Are filters the same as rules? It seems like a filter is a rule that sorts my email into folders once removed from the "unread" folder, right?

I remember that throwing me for a loop, too. I'd read an email and then head back to the inbox to have another read... but it'd wouldn't be there because it'd be already sorted to the folder setup in the rules for that sender. Whew that's a lot of typing.

Any new sender would not have a rule yet and would get left in the inbox I think. Thank god the people that have been filtered are still there!! Then I'd be in big trouble.

It's all the random email I've recieved from people that is missing. It looks like I've just dumped the whole thing in a massive delete.

You guys were right!

But it was even easier....

I went into View, Current View, and the Unread box was highlighted instead of Messages.

I'm a dork. Osrry for wasting your time like that.

>I went into View, Current View, and the Unread box

That's what I meant by filters

Let me ask this question:

If the emails were actually GONE GONE GONE, did you have a form of backup that would have gotten them back for you?? If not, start thinking long and hard about why you don't.

This should be the moment that you realize how important backup is.

Yes!

I've got a backup running. My problem is I don't know how to use it yet.

I'm little sad (very little) that this problem was so simple to resolve because I didn't learn very much about backups and or exchange.

One of these days one of my users is going to come to me with a REAL problem and I'm going to need to know how I can restore deleted files or email.

The resources I find are just too confusing.

If you have any good sources of tutorials for using backups or troubleshooting email problems like this I'd be really interested in reading them.

Thanks for that, Goom. Imagine if I had nothing in place at all? Sheesh!.

Imagine if I had nothing in place at all? Sheesh!.
Having an unproven/untested backup is just like having nothing. You have to test these things with real restores or you don't know what would happen in a real emergency. Some people even go so far as to put new hard drives in the server and try to get it running from their backups.

You are administering an Exchange system with no formal training?? And no confirmation that your backup is working or how you would restore it?

I'd say at the very least, have a consultant come in, do a health check of the system, check the backup and then do some tutorials with you if you're going to maintain the system.

It's also good to get the person familiarized with the system in case it melts down and you can't resuscitate it. I'm not trying to pick on you when I say this, but I don't know how people without the necessary skills (a minimum and not necessarily certifications) end up administering systems. Very dangerous for the company.

To add to what goombawaho stated, an Exchange restore is not necessarily like a simple file restore. It depends on what backup solution you are using and how you are backing up Exchange.

Make sure that your backup solution is "Exchange aware" or you may not be able to restore Exchange from backup at all!

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

an Exchange restore is not necessarily like a simple file restore

Yes - excellent point. Again, not trying to pick on the OP, but I see stormy seas ahead for your ship if you aren't proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back