Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6 pin RJ45, what's its proper name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggnbacon

Technical User
Sep 30, 2008
CA
This is a question about Registered Jacks. It looks the same as an RJ45 but it is only 6 pins ( and no it's not a telephone one ie RJ11 etc.), the one i saw was plugged into an RS232 converter, does anyone know the correct RJ?? number so i can order some, thanks Ray.

The plug on my Tempo Lan Toner AT8L has a similar type plug, it an RJ45 8 conducter type but it will fit an RJ11/12. Now i had a look at the Sandman website and he does sell the same type which he calls a "Blue Universal Modular Plug" basically a "shaved" RJ45 which will do the job, and thanks Ray

Truly a can of worms... The RJ number is all about how it is wired, not the physical form of the plug/jack. An 8-pin modular jack can be wired as RJ45 (tip and ring on center pins and a programming resistor on pins 7 & 8) or RJ48S (Tip & Ring on pins 7 & 8, T1 & R1 on pins 1 & 2), RJ48C, RJ61X, EIA568A/B or countless other variations.
So - to answer your question, you need a 6-pin modular jack.
Mike

I know what you're saying about the names etc but it's easier to explain and for people to understand when you say an RJ45 plug, it's like calling something by it's trade name and not what it is i.e. Hoover for a vacuum, Kleenex for tissues etc.

Wow. An 8-pin modular jack, a 6-pin modular jack, a 4-pin handset jack. How is that like a Kleenex and with Orek, Dyson, Eureka, etc., how is Hoover a synonym for vacuum cleaner? But I digress.

RJ-xx is a term used for the USE of a modular jack as it pertains to the telephone network. How many pins it has is the key to fully describing the hardware.

Looking the same as an 8-pin means you can plug an 8-pin cable into it. If you can't, then I guess it's not an 8-pin, so the description would be 6 pin-6 conductor (6p6c).

Geeze, and I only mentioned RJ once :)

LkEErie

IT'S THE LIE THAT IS CONSTANTLY REPEATED UNTIL MOST THINK IT IS THE TRUTH!!!

But the world is full of idiots and lowest common denominators, so the public gets dumber by the day, hour or minute!

RJ-ANYTHING is not data, Ethernet, or IP, it never has and never will! And Cisco did NOT invent TELEPHONY...

....JIM....

yep sy when one refers to data wires you have 2 flavors 568a/b and b was invented because att'ites refused to use the 568a scheme !

An RJ25C is a wiring arrangement for three analog Tip/Ring lines terminating on a 6 position modular jack. There is a long list of modular jacks that meet that requirement by Suttle for example: 102A6 103A6 104A6 104B6 106AFD6 16150-6 16152L7-6 19316L7-6 2-1002 2-2003 2-3003 333AE6 625A6 625A2-6 625A3-6 625B3-6 625B3E-6 625B3EF6 625B4-6 625B4E-6 625B4EF6 625D6 625FS6 625S6 625SA6 625T6 625TD2 630A6 630AB6 630AD6 630ANS6 630AP6 630ABC6 630ABS6 630AC6 630B6 635B 635D 697868H.

As you can see there are a lot of modular jacks that meet the requirements for an RJ25C wiring arrangement. Unless the person knows of what they speak, the misinformation continues...

The Registered Jack program, that was instituted by the FCC in the late 1970s, had NOTHING to do with data or Ethernet or any serial device!!!

....JIM....

...had NOTHING to do with data or Ethernet or any serial device!!!"

Not totally true. RJ48S is used for 56K data circuits and RJ48C (or RJ48X if you wanted auto loopback when patch disconnected) are used for T1. Using the "RJ" designation is quite appropriate when describing termination of these telco circuit types.

Mike

Yes Mike,
You are absolutely correct, at least someone else does their homework. But I never considered DS1 in "data" terms the way it is used today, even though it falls in that category, and Digital Data Service (DDS) was the upgrade to analogue private line data service. Those are the only RJ designations, RJ48C, RJ48X for DS1 service and RJ48S for DDS, that are data related. Those were the last RJ assignments from the FCC. The Bell System was still being difficult with CPE at that time, and they even got the FCC to do this affidavit nonsense, if you were going to provide your own CSU on DS1. Luckily, I never had to do any affidavits in the early days. I worked for an RCC, and we were able to wiggle around that stuff.

....JIM....

I know what eggnbacon is talking about. I saw those at a BLOCKBUSTER I was working at. The patch cable goes into an rJ$% type plug, but the plug has been modified so it is narrower. Hence only 6 pins on the shaved (narrowed ) RJ45 modular plug. I do not know what they are called, but they do plug into Data Switches. ????

alwayslearning

You can plug ANY plug into ANY socket - if you hit it hard enough, at least, that's what my users think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back