Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6 files will not synchronize

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongnp

Technical User
Jan 4, 2004
CA
Hello all,

I have a user whose laptop (XP Pro SP2) is set to sync two shares from our server. When he tries to sync his laptop, he gets the warning message that "all files and folders need to be closed" or Windows will forcibly close them. Since the laptop was just booted, there is nothing open. Ok is clicked and the laptop sync's. The problem is that in the sys tray, the offline file icon remains with a flashing exclamation mark and says 6 files need to be sync'd. I cannot get rid of this message. If I go into the offline file folder everything looks fine. Any ideas? Is there any way to see which 6 files it is not syncing?

Thanks for your time.

If there aren't to many, you can move his files on the share to a separate directory, re-sync, and then do a stare and compare. I don't remember if safe mode with networking still syncs files, but whatever program is holding those files might let go in safe mode.

I seem to recall there being a way to view the non-syncing files, but it is going to take an indeterminate amount of coffee before I start to recall what it might be, sorry.

Thanks ATLMatt. Unfortunately, there are over 10,000 files that are sync'd, so the stare and compare would drive me batty!!

I'll try the safe mode idea and let you know how it goes.

I work next to a medical company. Maybe if I sent you an IV that would help with the caffeine intake? ;-)

I seem to recall there being a way to view the non-syncing files

If you open a folder(any folder, doesn't matter) and select tools - folder options - offline files you will have the options to change how and when the sync takes place and to delete any files that are not syncing up.

Are the files the user is trying to sync database files (like SQL or Access) or email PST/OST files? Microsoft won't sync those files. When the error message comes up there is an advanced button or something like it (it's been a while since I have seen it) that will show you what files aren't being synchronized.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

This is odd. The user was offsite for the last couple days so I could not try any of the suggestions. When he got back this morning, there were 7 files it would not sync. I checked in the offline folder and 7 were set as available offline only. I sync'd the computer again, and now everything is fine. Very strange.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I may need to reference them in the future!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back