Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6 Channel switch not working ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1gbram

Technical User
Jul 1, 2006
GB
Iv recently acquired ( as in found) a network box.
Written on the front is 'TransNET 6 Channel Network Switch' and 'SafeLAN'.
I'm guessing by the name it's a network switch and plan to use it in my network.
However, I dont seem to be abvle to use it. The set up on the front of the box is like so:

| Link In | Link Out | Serial | Control | Channel 1 - 6 |
6 pin 6 pin Male 2 x RJ45 Each with 3 x RJ11
RJ11 RJ11 9 pin Labeled Labeled IN, A and B
Socket Socket serial A + B
FYI: RJ11 = telephone
RJ 45 = Ethernet

Each set of RJ45 socket has lights, a red, green and orange, each light is over the IN, A and B socket repectivly.

When i connect a ethernet to one of the 'control' socket from my router, my router brings up a red light for that terminal (red shows 10mbit connection). If from my PC I scan for IP's the lights on the switch flicker.
If connect the box to any other PC it does nothing. I'v checked the cables, my PC's settings for 10mb etc. and tried another PC as well.
In side there are two 'program' jumpers;A and B, when A is on all the green light go on, B make the chan. 3 and 4 go green, others go orange.
There is also a set of 4 'serial' jupers, labeled A and B.
I can't find any documentation one the web of it.
I can't do a direct IP scan beccause I can't directly connect to it.
Any ideas, I would be highly gratefull for any infomation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back