Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.2 CM error when changing media-gateways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stillyman

Programmer
Mar 24, 2003
US
Hello all.
I have an problem. I changed one of my gateway to a different network region and now I want to switch it back. I keep getting an error of:
ALL MGs with the same backup server must have the same recovery rule. All of my gateways have recovery rule 1. Anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Stillyman

Verify the backup servers on page 2 of the network region forms of the network regions you went from and to - perhaps ensure they match?

I've never seen that message before. What patch of 6.2 are you running - maybe its a bug? What/how many survivable servers do you have defined in your network region pages? More than 1 might be bad in terms of how the administration is handled in the back end.

Here is an exceptionally detailed document about how the settings you've changed affect things behind the scenes.

That all being said, I've done what you've done a lot before in lab systems, and typically never set a survivable GK node name in page 2 of my NR forms. To say, you might be able to blank those out, save, change your gateway back to where you want it to be, and then put back the survivable servers in page 2 of the network region form and get lucky.

patch I'M running is 02.0.823.0-20954 activated cold patch 20954 for 02.0.823.0

The recovery server are set to all the same. We only have on ESS.
I also did remove it from the NR form page 3 on both NR we are using.
Still get the same error.

Yup I've seen this before when trying to change a different feature on the media gateway screen. I was running 6.3 though. I haven't see it on 6.2 A work around would be to remove and re add the gateway.

So if I remove my gateways and re add them will I lose all my announcements that are on them?
I thinking Yes!...
Please let me know..

Thanks,
Stillyman

Not really. They're stored in the filesystem of the gateway. You won't be able to remove the gateway until you've removed all stations, trunks, and announcements on it from administration in CM. That doesn't remove the files on the gateway itself.

Do a "list announcement" and if your announcements are tied to the gateway, it'll be ugly. That would look like 1v9 for the port of the announcement. If they're in an audio group, its easier. You would see G1 or G2.

That's why I suggested the first method of trying to play with your NRs to reach your end goal of putting a GW back in a NR it was in before.

If your announcements are in audio groups, its easy - just change audio group X and remove that gateway from the audio group.
If your announcements are on the gateway itself, you'd have to remove/blank out/otherwise administer each announcement one at a time which could be a huge pain.

Yes my apologize. I did remove all of the ESS name from all of the NR. Still no luck. Then tried putting them all back. No luck. I think its a bug.
Anytime I go into any one of my gateways It gives me this error. None of them have a server name in the NR form anymore.
And of course the announcements are on the Virtual board on the gateways. :(
I will have to open up a ticket with Avaya to see if they have a fix for it.

That's the sort of thing a reset system 4 might inexplicably fix...

In case it doesnt work for you:

Problem Clarification

Error message when trying to enable the "Force Phones and Gateways to Active LSPs" option: All MGs with the same backup server must have the same recovery rule

Cause

The ‘immediate’ return to primary server option in the media gateway recover rule is not usable along with the "Force Phones and Gateways to Active LSPs" option. This option is in lieu of using an existing media gateway recovery rule administered for 'immediate' return to the main, which can be found on the SAT's SYSTEM PARAMETERS MEDIA GATEWAY AUTOMATIC RECOVERY RULE screen.

The return to main server options that can be used with the "Force Phones and Gateways to Active LSPs" option are as follows.
1. Time-day-window.
2. The enable mg-return command.
3. Return to the main server if an LSP is unregistered.

Another issue might be if a MG is set to a NR where the the backup server is not set.

You have to have a backup server set on the NR that conins MG's or you need to disbale the Recovery Rule on those MG's

We have an official guide which explains this feature in very details.
You can download it here:

Solution

Do not use the ‘immediate’ return to primary server option in the media gateway recover rule along with this feature.

AND/OR

Fill in the BACKUP SERVER field, or set Recovery rule to none

Let me know if this helped or not.

ken07734
That is what it was. Thank you!! It was set to immediate.
Thanks you all for your help!!

Stillyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back