Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.0.14 it's my second bug discovered?????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlelily

Technical User
Aug 26, 2010
IT
Hello all,
yesterday my colleague tried to release to a customer of us faulty 6.0.14 release with a brand new configuration, just to avoid some bugs we discovered on our skin.
We threw away Automated attendant, like to have an old 200 euros pbx you know, use announce on two ring groups (day and night), overflow on main group and normal call flow.

Our customer suddenly showed the final bug for me.

He cannot tranfer the external call to another internal user, which is a normal feature in pbx.

Only with help of monitor and some trials in our office, we tried to change what we normally leaved unchanged: in system/telephony tranfer/forward external call inhibit UNFLAGGED.

Normally if our customer doesn't ask this, we don't permit tranfer to external party and this is the default setting.

The question is: have to give up Avaya???????????

you obviously have never used a Windows operating system :) bugs are normal even if they are as severe and quite stupid and rudimentary as these ones. Don't say that Avaya is cr@p in not so many words, open a ticket with them and they will get you a private built until it is fixed in the next release.

This is quite common in other brands btw too and it will get worse because it is more and more towards having the phone systems do everything you can imagine including the dishes. This is all one under pressure to be faster than the competition and that doesn't help matters but please don't start yelling and screaming about the quality of the product until you have worked on R1.3 and 1.4 and tried making a call centre work.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

Thanks Westi,
you are really calm in your reply. Probably because:
you open ticket diretly to Avaya,
you have a reply in 24 hrs and a solution in a reasonable time.
On the other hand I'm a poor worker in an Authorized Avaya Partner.
My dealer tech staff has few solutions and, moreover, is slow.
Avaya is exposing my company with potential legal controversy (I would be very angry, if were a customer and only knew a bit of truth about this issue).
Avaya is asking to me, to certify, to study and now, also to test the product on customer skin.
Can someone tell me how to better this situation?
Have you any preferred channel with Avaya? And how?

I open tickets with Avaya yes but they are not fast if it is a new or difficult error because they go back to development and they create a fix for it usually in a few days but that depends on how severe it is and what they break in fixing it.
If you work for an Avaya BP and you are ACSS certified you can open tickets with i-care and it speeds up the process. I can oly talk for Canada because I know that different countries have different processes in place (nothing like consistency LOL)
I know that it is a real nuisance if you upgrade and break more things than you fix (like mentioned I started with 1.3) but they test and seem sometimes to forget to test the basics because they assume it has had no influence on it. Wrong but nevertheless human and having to bring the new stuff out before the competition brings out their fixes and features doesn't help either.
I am sure as soon as there is a PB version out it will be all over and I slow down the upgrades until I can make sure I don't have to go back a week later and install another upgrade, especially if it takes 3 hours to upgrade all phones.
As for being calm, well it comes with age I guess, you can either blow a gasket and get a heart attack one day or you go have a coffee and tell yourself what a bunch of morons released that maintenance version without proper testing again.
Still better than R4.0 though :)

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Ok, Westi. I will relocate in Canada ASAP :D (now I'm in Italy), but I'm wondering if I'm wrong. I never opened a ticket and so, I need some hints.
In this case I have a problem in my configuration, but if I reset pbx and use default configuration problem disappears.
Is there a doc/policy describing how to put a ticket?

If you do not know how to raise a ticked then you probably are not even allowed to do so.
You probably also do not have any support hours bought at Avaya ?

If the problem goes away with a default config then i am almost certain that this is not a bug.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

If it weren't for the "bugs" a lot of us wouldn't have jobs! ;)

I agree with Peter. Defaulting the config, and the problem goes away points to the programming.

you have as a business partner (BP) of Avaya certain rights and privileges if you are certified with ACS or ACSS one of them is to open cases direct with Avaya. Otherwise you need to go through your hardware supplier your distributor has people on staff that can open one as well after going through some basic troubleshooting with you and not getting anywhere they will do so.
What problem do you actually have with the system ?
Might be better to open a new thread for it as this one will otherwise get a bit too long.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

You don't get that privilege as an ACSS in the UK though Westi, the rights and privileges are exactly zero, you may as well not be certified :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Yep, the direct contact thing is for the North American Region possibly others, definately not EMEA region (well not UK anyway) :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

They will discuss stuff all day long, they just never actaully do any of it, they give you the illusion they are listening to your input and as soon as they leave they discard it :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

I had it too and escalated to Tier III.

The problem occours on 6.0.14 just after a few step programming.
At default the issue is not present but after a few time you send cfgs to the system the problem occours, does not matter what you did.

It is true you have to uncheck the off-net transfer, like littlelily said, but this is a workaround only, of course.

Avaya is working on it.

i seem to remember our acct manager coming in around 5.0 and discussing the future possilities of direct support. Bet it would come at a hefty price though.

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

Tom, based on company qualifications, you should be able to get direct access to Avaya support and use your Avaya Minutes directly.

Are Avaya Minutes like cell phone minutes? Do they have rollover?

seeing that they charge you $400/hr or something like that it should but you actually buy packages of time and it stays until you have used them up

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back