Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5GT bottle neck for Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebBreinholt

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
We have a 5GT that has been in place for a while. It has a very simple configuration - one VPN tunnel to a remote site and support for a few Laptop VPNs is all there is. The VPN links have always been slow, but we assumed it was just the ISP. They came around and offered a speed upgrade to 7MB. After upgrading the modem and cable to the building, we can consistently get 4-6MB throughput on the speed tests by attaching directly to the DSL modem. If we go through the 5GT we cannot get speeds any faster than 512MB down or up.

I have looked for clues as to where the slow down is coming from. The Netscreen bar graphs are all green, and run about 1/20 of the possible size except the memory bar that is green and is about 1/3 of the possible size.

The reports & Logs do not show any errors mesages.

Is there some way the the WAN or LAN ports can be rate limiting the traffic?

I found my own answer. In looking at the config file I noticed that the rate limiting parameter (MBW) on the catch-all policy had been set to 256. I changed it back to the default (0) to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back