Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

56k wiring on back of patch panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT1

Technical User
Apr 6, 2002
Ok, here's the deal..

We just had a new floor built for my company and whoever decided on the cabling was a moron.

To get from the wallfield to the patch panel, they ran Cat 3 cable and only used 2 pairs per port (first (blue) and third (green), left to right on the back of the panel), instead of 4.

I'm trying to hook up a bunch of 56k Reuters lines to this patch panel, and am unsure as to which pins to use on the back of the panel itself. I know that the RJ45 connector is looking for 1,2,7,8, but where does it go on the back of the panel?

I found that when wiring up a T-1 to this same panel, that I used the first pair (blue) and second pair (orange), which somehow equates to 1,2,4,5.

Is there anywhere on the net that I can find the RJ45 connector - patch panel pin outs?

FWIW, it's a Plantronics 48 port patch panel....

Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Pin 1- wt orange
Pin 2- orange
Pin 3- wt green
pin 4- blue
pin 5- wt blue
pin 6- green
pin 7- wt brown
pin 8- brown
This is standard 568-B, 568-A reverses the orange and green pairs. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Good job Matt,

Sounds from the description that it is wired 568B, and they only used the two pairs they would need for ethernet. I'm amazed that someone would wire a business like that, sorry you got stung. Also some panels arent marked with color codes on the back, they just give you a paper insert to stick in there depending on which way you want to terminate the panel (a or b). Either way, left to right, it should be pins 1-8.

Good luck, oh...get a new wiring guy :)
Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Let me rephrase that last answer. Looking at the jack in the front it is 1-8, left to right. Then I thought about what you asked and you want to know what it looks like on the back.

Left to right should be:

white/blue - pin 5
blue/white - pin 4
white/orange - pin 1
orange/white - pin 2
white/green - pin 3
green/white - pin 6
white/brown - pin 7
brown/white - pin 8

If the panel is specifically wired for 568B, the pairs should go down left to right blue, orange, green, brown. If the panel is specifically wired for 568A it may even be the same. However, there are quite a few universal panels out there. They just tell you wire it blue, orange, green, brown if you want 568B, and wire it blue, green, orange, brown if you want it 568A.

Hope that makes sense.

Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thanks guys. It's MUCH appreciated!! :)

Just for more information to confuse the issue: A DS1/T1 line uses pairs 1&2 (the blue and orange under 568B - punchdown 1,2,3,4 on the back and pins 1,2 4,5 in the jack.) while a frame relay link uses pairs 2&4 (orange & brown - punchdown 1,2,7,8 and pins 3,4,7,8)

Clear as mud? Specific pinouts are here: There's also a lot of other good info all over this site.
Jeff
Working in IT is like trying to commit suicide with a very small hammer ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back