Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

56K modems for AS5200 access router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpTheCity

MIS
Mar 22, 2000
GB
I have a AS5200 access router with Microcom V.34 modems installed.<br>
I believe to upgrade to 56k a hardware upgrade is required.<br>
Is it still possible to get 56K modems for<br>
the AS5200 now Cisco have taken this router<br>
off their product catalogue?<br>
Also has anyone tried upgrading the modem<br>
firmware to 56k on V.34 modems and with what results?

We have an AS5200 in our network and it works well.&nbsp;&nbsp;We<br>have the original Microcon v.34 modems also.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's been awhile since we upgraded this, so I don't remember all of the details.&nbsp;&nbsp;We upgraded the firmware for the modems only, no hardware and the results were great.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Previously, very few 56k modems, those using v.90, could not connect unless the modem users changed their modulation to v.34, usually using a command such as +ms=9 in their init string.&nbsp;&nbsp;We upgraded the firmware on the modems and I'm able to connect at speeds well above 33.6 now.&nbsp;&nbsp;As with all 56k modems, there are alot of variables to determine your connection speed. However, I have quite a few people who connect at anywhere between 48k to 50k.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The modems boot rev is 3.0(4) and the firmware rev is 5.2(30).<br><br>I do not know if you can still purchase modems for this box or not.&nbsp;&nbsp;I believe you can, as the same modem cards are used in the AS5300 also.&nbsp;&nbsp;Though I'm not 100% positive about that, a reseller, or cisco themselves, could answer that better than I.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;For us, the firmware upgrade was enough to satisfy our needs.&nbsp;&nbsp;There was no need to spend money to upgrade the modems or any hardware.&nbsp;&nbsp;We got the results we wanted from the firmware upgrade.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back