Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

568-a 5, can be used two connect two computers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

samoza

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
OK, ive got two identical network adapters in two computers, one Xp and one windows me. The cable im using is a TIA/EIA 568A-5 cat 5e utp connects the two directly together. In Network connections on Xp the connection ive set up for the LAN it states that the network cable is unplugged. I assure you that both ends are in firmly and the correct drivers are installed on each computer. Is the problem with this cable?

Cheers for any help

If there is not hub involved, then a staight trough cable will not do the job.

A crossover cable is wired as A on one end and as B on the other. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

>Is the problem with this cable?

Yes. The Tx (transmit) pins on the WinMe computer are connected to the TX pins on the WinXp computer. Same with the Rx pins. Neither computer can hear what the other is saying since Tx needs to be connected to Rx.

You need either a hub or a crossover cable between the two computers.

As jimbopalmer alluded to in the above post a crossover cable is wired TIA568A on one end and TIA568B on the other.

TIA568A
w/gr, gr, w/or, or, bl, w/bl, or, w/br, br

TIA568B
w/or, or, w/gr, or, bl, w/bl, gr, w/br, br

From left to right. Wire in hand with plug latch down and plug pins facing up.

Oh Dear,

OK can you name a good site(uk) where i can get a cross over cable cheap?

thx

Any decent computer store or Radio Shack should have them.

Hey people, i am also trying to connect two pc using crossover cable. One computer is using XP and one is using windows ME, but the computer with XP keep saying that cable is unpluged while cable is pluged properly in both computers. Is the problem with this cable or setting or what? The cable is CAT5e Crossover.
Can any one help??????????????

We can probably help you faster when you provide us more information. Most importantly is are the link lights on? The link light on each NIC (network interface card) will indicate if it has connectivity. If you do not have a link light, you have a cabling problem. If you DO have a link light, you most likely have a configuration problem.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back