Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5610 with VPN Remote, no DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuyNJ

Technical User
Dec 7, 2004
US
I am trying to upgrade a 5610SW with VPNRemote, and it never gets past the DHCP. All documentation says to use the same VPN Remote software as the 46XX Series..

To make sure my PC was OK to upgrade, I took a 4610 and upgraded that, and bam, it went right away...

Seems the 5610 phones are not happy with the software. Anyone have this issue?

You are trying to use bin x10d01a2_3.bin and i10aVPN23252.bin? These would NOT be the same .bin files that you use for the 4610 phones (b10d01b2_3.bin and a10bVPN23252.bin) although the versions would be the same.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Did you try to enter it all static ?

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I did one last night and had to have a local TFTP and what we did was disable the VPN on the phone. set it all static. let it upgrade and then enable the VPN again.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I have tried it many many ways. I think the problem is with what the 46xxsettings.txt and/or 46xxvpn is directing the phone to do. It basically downloads firmware 2_3 but doesnt download the VPN Remote. Does anyone have a script already writted on the 56XX series that will force it to go into VPN mode and download that firmware? That would be very helpful.

You need to put the phone in to group 876

Press "hold" and type 57687 (group)

Then the phone reboots and hopefully pulls the right .scr file

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I did that as well. and it still didnt download the correct firmware. I also checked the settings file, and 876 is defined...

Okay so it's loading b10d01b2_3.bin... and this is after I said screw it, and renamed the 46xxvpn.scr over to 46xxsetting.scr so it forces it without options..

Where does one get the correct load?

VPN firmware 2.3532 requires boot firmware 2.3 so b10d01b2_3 would be correct if you have a 4610 not a 5610 which would be x10d01a2_3.

Kyle Holladay

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Okay I loaded that firmware, but all it does is come up as a regular phone, not a VPN boot phone.. ?

Gosh it was so easy with 4610's!!

Also above you say firmware 2.3532? Latest on Avaya website is 2.1 - where can I download the latest?

The VPN firmware is located on the Admin CD under the root of the install CD\bin\VPN Phone\h323_VPN_232_52_SMBS.zip

Kyle Holladay

Sheesh.. I didnt have the new version! Looks like it loaded.. yet another problem..
Once it comes up, it says VPN Configuration Changed.. restart? if I pick YES it just comes back to that.. if I pick NO it says "Wrong Set Type" and sits there.

Wrong Set Type means that you either do not have a VPN Phone License in your IP Office of you did not enable VPN Phone on the IP extension's VOIP tab.

Kyle Holladay

Ah! This is good news!! I will try it again tonight!

Again, thanks for everyone's help with all of this mess..
I hadnt done a VPN phone in a few years..

Wait, you can make a 5610 VPN into a switch? Like you can take a 5610 anywhere and plug it into a lan?

I gotta find out how to do this!

-Jon

You can't make it into a "switch" but you can take it anywhere and plug it in and have it connect back to your PBX/switch over the Internet.

Kyle Holladay

Did I read somewhere that you need a VPN hardware unit besides the IPO? So the phone doesn't VPN into the switch, but into a piece of other hardware?

Thanks,
-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back