Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

56,000 Temp Directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamadan

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
I discovered somewhat by accident that the C:\Documents and Settings\exadmin\Local Settings\Temp\ directory on my exchange server(exchange 5.5 SP4, windows 2000 server) has approximately 56,000 directories in it. They're all named wfvxxxxx where xxxxx is some number between 1 and about 59,000. Some of the directories are empty, but many contain a copy of exchng2.cab. The dates on the folders suggest that they're being created daily a few thousand at a time in rapid succession. The only other programs on the server are Veritas Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 and McAfee Groupshield and I don't see how they would be causing this problem. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I've seen 2 instances where there are lots of files created - though I've not seen it in this location...

one is if Full backups are not successful, then some of the log files will not clean themselves up - thus creating lots of files on the server.

the second was in the MTA folders when I had a looping problem that was causing havoc. It was an unintential internal denial of service that caused the MTA to not be able to keep up with the email traffic and thus had lots of messages stuck in the MTA folder.

I'd check those 2 things and see if that will eliminate some possibilities.

Also, have you rebooted? Does it delete these temp files at shut-down? If so, does it reoccur?

aliciaJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back