Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

554 Transaction Failed to AOL Members 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonDrop

MIS
Sep 1, 2002
US
Launched an email to our company's membership base ... the message contained links to our website with articles of interest. All AOL recipients were rejected. (Have done this successfully in the past -- up until Dec 31, 2003)
Message received is: 554 TRANSACTION FAILED: (HVU:B1) The URL contained in your email to AOL members has generated a high volume of complaints. Per our Unsolicit have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned>

How do I resolve this issue?

Pat

Erm, contact AOL. Looks like you've been blocked / black listed. Are you relaying?

I think they might be blocking you because you have no reverse lookup functioning for the IP address of your email server (some sites won't accept mail if they can't resolve the IP address to a host name in the domain specified in the senders address).

You can test whether yours does at this site:

If you do your own DNS this just means adding a PTR record. If your ISP does your DNS you will have to request that they add the PTR record.

Thank you for the responses .... through more research I did ascertain that there was no reverse DNS entry but was unable to resolve it on my own. However, talked with my ISP, Verizon, and they are making the appropriate entry for the PTR record.

Spent two days researching ... and all it took was one brief phone call!

Thanks again.

I am getting the same error message when sending emails to AOL. I do already have a reverse DNS lookup and it is working/resolving confirmed by my ISP - any other ideas as to why it is still bouncing with 554 TRANSACTION FAILED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back