Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5513 backplane limits and a large LAN party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ver17

Technical User
Sep 24, 2004
US
I have recently come into the ownership of a Cisco 5513 switch and was wondering if the backplane limitations make this switch to old to throw a large LAN party with? How many players could this switch handle do you think? 100, 150, 200+ ???

Would grouping team players together on the same module as the server they would use increase the switches efficiency? Would this data stay within the module or would all the data still use the backplane and the supervisor module making this idea pointless?

I understand that limiting the individual players game configs to only use a certain ammount of bandwidth could help but controlling this could be impossible, so I am going to asume that these settings would generally be kept at default for the average player, which is probobly set for internet play and not a LAN anyway.

There is a 3gig backplane on the 5500's, 3 independent gig channels.. Thats probably not 100%, but its 95% close :D

If the data that going to each client is on the same blade it will be directly switched, not via the backplane..

I'm sure it could handle a few hundred no problem..

BuckWeet

It handles large server farms at our corp. without ever going over like 25% utilization, these were stout switches and never breakdown, one of the best products cisco has made .

I have a 5513 with 240 10/100 switch ports. It can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. I doubt that a video game will put even a light load in it. 3GB on the back plane is massive!!! Unless you are an ISP. I would think that you should be able to handle 500+ gamers on that switch without any issues.

It is what it is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back