Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5510 nic compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

sscottid

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
I have 15 5510 switches that have recently been added to my network and have created nightmares. Many of my work stations will not communicate with the switches. Some workstaions have 10/100 cards and some have 10/100/1000 cards. Some workstations show that they have a 100mb connection in the taskbar but will not ping or obtain an IP address. I have tried to hard code both the switch ports as well as the workstation nics. What nic cards and software versions are currently being used that work effectively. I have numerous nic card manufactures and various vesions of drivers on these (750) workstaions. Any advise or suggestions, greatly appreciated.

There are many reasons.
1. DHCP server is not function.
2. DHCP server is not in the same VLAN of workstations.

I think you should already assign a IP address for 5510 as management IP.
Try to ping the 5510 from workstation to prove workstation's NIC is working. (Must be same subnet)

Waiting your feed back.

M1227

DHCP is the same. I have asigned an Ip for the mgt of the 5510. I can ping the 5510 from some workstations once I get connectivity. I have one workstation connected to one of my 5510's with a netgear FA312 nic at 10 full. It will ping the 5510 and the router constantly. I have another workstation with the same nic connected to another 5510 that will ping for 3-5 times, time out for a couple of times, then ping for 4-5 more then time out again and comtinue this. I wonder if this could be a bad gbic connector or bad switch?

Is the STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) disable on the 5510.
It seem that, a loop inside the network.

M1227

check the pvid of the ports? Is auto-pvid configured?

What version of code are you running on the switches? In regards to spanning tree, if you have it enabled, try turning it off or setting the ports to fast start.

I have seen many issues in the past with Macs, for instance, where they would not get a DHCP address on boot because they tried to request the DHCP address while the port was still in a hold-down state from spanning tree.

I'd second Jynxx's comment about the microcode version, I've seen several posts that say early versions had bugs.
I'm currently at 4.0.3.07 and running fine.

Its probably unrelated, but I usually avoid 10/Full since its not an official standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back