Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5510 Advanced Routing License Anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManyThanks

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2003
IE
Recently i installed Advanced Routing License on to 5510 and 5530 switch stacks. Stacks running VRRP & IST After operating for 1 - 3 weeks the stacks would not permit the creation of a new static route.
Console Error "Error Condition" resolved by reboot however error has returned. 1 stack is new installation while other stack is 2 years old. Advanced routing License install new.

Please advise if this error condition has been seen before or if anyone is aware of issues regarding 5500 Advanced routing license.

Many Thank

Hmmm... you do realize that you don't need the Advanced License just to add a static IP route right? You can do IP routing with static routes on any ERS 5500 series switch out of the box.

Perhaps you had some other problem that you mistakenly associated with the Advanced License operation.

Can you provide the exact error message? Was it from the CLI or Device Manager?

Cheers!

Thank You 4 your interest
yes i am aware that Advan Lic not required for Static routes, however needed for VRRP and IST. The error occurs in both Command Line and JDM. Error ""Error Condition"
The issue was noted when new static was needed.

Many Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen the error "Error Condition".

ERS-5530>
ERS-5530> enable
ERS-5530# config term
ERS-5530(config)# ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1 1
ERS-5530(config)#

If I actually try to enter the route twice I get the following error;
ERS-5530(config)#ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1 1
Duplicate Route Entry. Use Modify Operation

The static route I added to this ERS 5530 was bad because 10.1.1.1 is not an interface that is directly attached to this switch so the route is invalid as the output below will show "INACTV".

ERS-5530(config)#show ip route static
DEST MASK NEXT COST PREF LCLNHOP STATUS ENABLE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.121.255.185 1 5 TRUE ACTIVE TRUE
10.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1 1 5 TRUE INACTV TRUE

Perhaps you could post the output/error from your CLI session when you try to add the static route.

Cheers!

You're not imagining things. We've got a case open with Nortel for this issue. No news on it yet. It's intermittent for us, it usually happens every couple of weeks. If you've come up with a way to always make it happen, by all means let us know so we can get this resolved!

I just started updating from 5.0.6 to 5.1.1 on a group of switches with Advanced Routing License (enabled for OSPF routing). Have been watching for any issues but none seen to this time. Are your problems on 5.0 or 5.1?

Would you mind sharing the case number?

I'd could make some inquiries with Nortel.

Cheers!

Many Thanks for all the attention
I have been away however back to Business.
Im glad to see VPNSteve has also found this issue.
I have seen the issue in both v5.1.0.014 & v5.1.1.016.
The "Error Condition" i have noted on;y happens after a number of weeks and usually after an existing route link has dropped. The link will reconnect and route correctly however if a neew route is added the error occures.
Error Condition is observed from the comand line and noSuchInstance is observed in the Static route table using JDM.

Many Thansk

Many Thanks

Latest update on this issue

The case is with nortel
They have been able to generate the problem

many thanks 2 all

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back